Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

SpencerHodgson
Participant

Workflows can create tasks, any way to complete them?

SOLVE

I've found workflow automations to be VERY helpful, and sometimes they can create tasks in bulk and streamline processes in a way that saves a LOT of time! But sometimes those tasks end up needed to get deleted in bulk too, otherwise the workflow just CREATED something which will take a lot of time. Any idea on if it's possible to use a workflow to mark qualifying tasks as completed?

Thanks!

2 Accepted solutions
ConnorSlivensky
Solution
Key Advisor | Elite Partner

SOLVE

There isn't a way to mass delete tasks as far as I know. Activities are tricky since they don't behave like objects. If you wanted you could use the associated Deal. Then you could have a custom property to flag things to delete but I don't see anything that allows you to set Activity properties like you can Objects.

View solution in original post

karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @SpencerHodgson,

At this stage it's not possible to edit the status of a task in workflows. (It might be possible with custom code in workflows, requiring Operations Hub Professional.)

There is a related request in the HubSpot Ideas section of the community which you might find interesting: Allow workflows to delete or mark tasks complete

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12
jditmer0
Contributor

SOLVE

I could really use this ability too. We need to be able to change task status or delete a tast based on whether a previous task has been completed 

0 Upvotes
zach_threadint
Top Contributor

SOLVE

Hi @SpencerHodgson 👋

I've created an app that suits at least some of the use cases you've described, called Utilities for HubSpot.

As per the app's Usage Guide, installing the app makes available a number of custom workflow actions within your HubSpot portal, including "Delete Associated Tasks" and "Mark All Tasks as Complete". I'm also very open to developing new features for the app that would suit your use cases.

Please let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

All the best,

Zach

--

Zach Klein
HubSpot Integrations & App Developer
Meanjin / Brisbane, Australia

Say g'day

If my post helped answer your query, please consider marking it as a solution.

BrettloweAUS

SOLVE

This is very cool. 

I am just in the process of moving my CS team from GainSight to HS (which we have always used). We now need to replicate more of the CS-type workflows. 

Tasks play a huge part in what we do. Do you have any ideas to add workflow steps around the status of a task - can't seem to work out why HS has this in some views (table view in sales >  takes) but you can't edit or view it anywhere else. 

The idea, at any given time a CSM has a number of tasks generating for them. Most are triggered by a customer activity or event (poor usage, turned a product off, has become a good lead candidate) 

0 Upvotes
zach_threadint
Top Contributor

SOLVE

Hi @BrettloweAUS 👋

Unfortunately, it's currently very difficult to effectively use Task statuses in any kind of HubSpot automation logic. This is due to a number of factors, including:

1. Tasks (which falls under the umbrella HubSpot object-type "Activity") currently cannot be used as a workflow object-type.
  2. As per this HubSpot Knowledge Base article, it's not possible to use Activities (including Tasks) as workflow re-enrollment triggers.
  3. Very limited data relating to Tasks is stored on an associated record of another object-type (e.g. Contact, Company, Deal, Ticket).
  4. HubSpot App Developers cannot currently "listen" for changes to Activities (including Tasks)This makes custom solutions relating to your described use case even more difficult.

Unfortunately, all of the above significantly limits what can be achieved when designing programmatic/automated solutions that rely heavily on HubSpot Activity data.

Please let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

All the best,

Zach

--

Zach Klein

Say g'day

0 Upvotes
BrettloweAUS

SOLVE

@zach_threadint 

That all makes sense. I might go down the path of custom objects then. 

Can you point me to any community/forums focused on Customer Success within HubSpot? I find most forums learn more towards sales/rev ops and not as much just on CS. 

0 Upvotes
zach_threadint
Top Contributor

SOLVE

Hi @BrettloweAUS 👋

You might be interested in the following HubSpot Community Discussion Groups:

All the best,

Zach

--

Zach Klein

Say g'day

0 Upvotes
JNeal7
Participant

SOLVE

I am having the same issue.  Send out an email workflow - create tasks for those contacts in that group.  If the next task is to send another email workflow, I would not be going into each contact to check off each task.  I'm getting a contact with several tasks that look outstanding, but have really been completed.   Has anyone found another way to accomplish this so that we don't end up with 10 outstanding tasks for the same contact?  Thanks

0 Upvotes
BrettloweAUS

SOLVE

Can you explain what you are trying to achieve here?

It sounds like you have a series of emails to send to the customer. What are the tasks for?

There might be another way to achieve what you're trying to do. 

0 Upvotes
kvlschaefer
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @JNeal7,

Are you still experiencing this issue? If so, I would like to invite you to create a new post in our Community to ensure it gets full visibility among our Community members.

Please make sure to include examples of your workflows and tasks, screenshots, and any other pertinent information for the Community to be able to assist. Thank you! 

Best,

Kristen

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !
JNeal7
Participant

SOLVE
I found another post that was similar with lots of others having the same issue.

You can’t close “tasks” or change Lifecycle status without having to open each contact record and do it manually. There’s no workflow or automation ( that I’ve found) to handle this. Fine if you have 20 active prospects. Not ok if you’re managing 100’s

Thanks.
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @SpencerHodgson,

At this stage it's not possible to edit the status of a task in workflows. (It might be possible with custom code in workflows, requiring Operations Hub Professional.)

There is a related request in the HubSpot Ideas section of the community which you might find interesting: Allow workflows to delete or mark tasks complete

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

ConnorSlivensky
Solution

SOLVE

There isn't a way to mass delete tasks as far as I know. Activities are tricky since they don't behave like objects. If you wanted you could use the associated Deal. Then you could have a custom property to flag things to delete but I don't see anything that allows you to set Activity properties like you can Objects.