Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

SpencerHodgson
Participant

Workflow task to create a NEW task (or action) if the previous one isn't completed

SOLVE

Workflows can create tasks, but sometimes people don't get around to actually doing anything about them! Is there a way to have a workflow check 2 weeks later to see if the task it created has been marked as completed, and if NOT to create a new task or action? I attempted Delay until an event happens -> data source output from an earlier action in this workflow (i.e. the task), but that seems to only work if the property value changed, whereas I'm interested in executing an action if it DOESN'T change, i.e. the task is never marked as completed. Any ideas?

Thanks!

1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

Workflow task to create a NEW task (or action) if the previous one isn't completed

SOLVE

Hi @SpencerHodgson,

At this stage it's not possible to check in workflows whether a task has been completed, at least not natively. (It might be possible with custom code in workflows, requiring Operations Hub Professional.) Workflows cannot check the status of a task yet.

As far as workarounds go, you could check whether the task was completed by looking at the outcome, e.g. a changed property value for example. If it was changed/populated and is now known, do nothing. If it is still and old value or empty, create a follow-up task.

There is a related request in the HubSpot Ideas section of the community which you might find interesting: Allow workflows to delete or mark tasks complete

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @SpencerHodgson,

At this stage it's not possible to check in workflows whether a task has been completed, at least not natively. (It might be possible with custom code in workflows, requiring Operations Hub Professional.) Workflows cannot check the status of a task yet.

As far as workarounds go, you could check whether the task was completed by looking at the outcome, e.g. a changed property value for example. If it was changed/populated and is now known, do nothing. If it is still and old value or empty, create a follow-up task.

There is a related request in the HubSpot Ideas section of the community which you might find interesting: Allow workflows to delete or mark tasks complete

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

ConnorSlivensky
Key Advisor | Elite Partner

SOLVE

@karstenkoehler If you look at the attached screencap from workflow filters could they not use task completion date is (un)known to determine this? Am I missing something because it seems that would work.Activity Filters.PNG

SpencerHodgson
Participant

SOLVE

Thanks to both of you, I hadn't thought of this workaround but it seems like it should work.

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @ConnorSlivensky,

Right, good thinking. HubSpot would check here if there is at least one task that fulfills this criterion. @SpencerHodgson, if there is only one task with a specific Task title, you could indeed check using a logic like the one below:

karstenkoehler_0-1623865664661.png

However, if the contact has multiple open tasks with that Task title, you couldn't reference a specific one. HubSpot is always checking if there is at least one task that fulfills these criteria – not if the one that you're thinking of was completed.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

ConnorSlivensky

SOLVE

I think you would just set your delay to the time you want to give reps to complete the task then use an if/then branch to check if they have. (If not set another task) Use the activity properties then you can use the completion date is unknown. Or priority or whatever else you need.