Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

Creativesoul
Contributor

Workflow centering Custom Objects and Date Properties

So I have a music school with students having their own custom object.  We have 12 date properties that need to trigger email notification on the date chosen.  

Workflows don't support Custom Object Date Properties type for the Enrollment Trigger.  

Is there a workaround  through Operations Hub code?

Custom Object WorkflowCustom Object Workflow

0 Upvotes
4 Replies 4
christopher-RVO
Key Advisor | Diamond Partner

@Creativesoul A workaround that I've seen without going the route for custom code is to use the date property as an enrollment trigger and set it to enroll if the date is less than 1 day from now. 

What is the use case for the workflow you're looking to build?

Screen Shot 2022-09-23 at 11.02.30 AM.png

Christopher Barnett - VP of Revenue at Aptitude 8

Creativesoul
Contributor

Wow... great job.  Now here's the tricky part.

So I am sending to our Parents (custom object) and Instructors (custom object) an email or SMS (3rd Party) about their Students (custom object) testing is coming up.  

The dates live on Students (custom object).  I associated the Students (custom object) to Parents and Instructors.  

Love to know your thoughts and workarounds.

Kind Regards,

Casey

0 Upvotes
christopher-RVO

@Creativesoul  I think you will still run in to the same issue of sending emails to custom objects. It may be a more feasible option to convert these to contacts and associate them to a Custom Object titled Family.

What you could do here is associate all of the people who need to be emailed as contacts, and associate them to the Family Custom Object custom labels. 

See the screenshot below:

Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 5.09.43 PM.png

From here, the workflow that you would need built is likely pretty easy to execute as long as this model works. Let me know your thoughts.

Christopher Barnett - VP of Revenue at Aptitude 8

Creativesoul
Contributor

Ok Chris.  First of all, you are awesome.  I am grateful to have your help on this.   So I associated the custom object students (custom object) with Families (custom object) that has contacts. 

This still doesn't work because date properties will not work on the specific date of custom object workflows. 

Mainly because I can't get the phone number or email properties of the contacts into the custom object workflows.

The support guys can't figure it out without operations hub either. 

Any thoughts would be amazing.

Thanks

Casey 

0 Upvotes