Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

NGrow
Participant

When is "Media Play" Triggered for Videos?

SOLVE

Is "Media Play" triggered for videos when a contact views the video or watches a percentage of the video? Ideally, I want to be able to see that a contact has watched the video, not just clicked on the URL to view it. Is that possible? 

And if I'm using the link for the file (rather than embedding the video somewhere), will the "Media Play" value still be triggered?

1 Accepted solution
Jnix284
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi @NGrow for video analytics, Video views is the number of times your video loaded on your page in the visitor's browser, but Video retention shows a measure of what parts of the video content were played.

If you're not embedding the video and you're using the link to the HubSpot video file, I'm not sure if it will trigger the same way without testing it out - I haven't run into this use case before.

The best way to confirm would be to run a dedicated test to see if the results are visible in analytics.

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

Jennifer Nixon - Director of Revenue Operations at WORQFLOW

connect with Jen on Linkedin

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
NGrow
Participant

SOLVE

Thanks to both of you! I think those points answer my questions for now, and I'll just need to do some testing to confirm.

danmoyle
Most Valuable Member | Elite Partner

SOLVE

Happy to help. @Jnix284 & I are often on the same page, although we don't share a brain. She's definitely smarter. 😊 

Did my answer help? Please "mark as a solution" to help others find answers. Plus I really appreciate it!

Dan Moyle

HubSpot Advisor

LearningOps | Impulse Creative

emailAddress
dan@impulsecreative.com
website
https://impulsecreative.com/
Jnix284

SOLVE

@danmoyle we must've been typing at the same time, we might not share a brain, but I think there's some sort of ESP thing happening 😆

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

danmoyle

SOLVE

@NGrow as I understand the video analytics in HubSpot, a video view happens when your video is loaded on your page in a visitor's browser. Video retention measures of which parts of your video content were played. This seems to be how the custom report builder media plays are also measured. 

I don't see the ability in HubSpot right now to see how long a specific viewer watched a specific video. I think a tool like Wistia can, but I don't believe as of October 2023 that exists in HubSpot. The nice thing with video analytics is that video plays will be included in revenue attribution reports, so that's good overall. It's not the granularity you're asking for. 

Did my answer help? Please "mark as a solution" to help others find answers. Plus I really appreciate it!

Dan Moyle

HubSpot Advisor

LearningOps | Impulse Creative

emailAddress
dan@impulsecreative.com
website
https://impulsecreative.com/
0 Upvotes
Jnix284
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @NGrow for video analytics, Video views is the number of times your video loaded on your page in the visitor's browser, but Video retention shows a measure of what parts of the video content were played.

If you're not embedding the video and you're using the link to the HubSpot video file, I'm not sure if it will trigger the same way without testing it out - I haven't run into this use case before.

The best way to confirm would be to run a dedicated test to see if the results are visible in analytics.