What strategies do you use for creating Lists in HubSpot?

SOLVE
New Contributor | Gold Partner

Hi All, 

I'm working on a "list strategy" for Hubspot, and wondering if there are some best practises out there for what list are needed, and more inportant how to name them and how to use and name the folders best possible? 

Do you know if there are som "best practise" examples about what list are good to have? Also naming strategy to both folders and seperat list could be great.

Could be really great to hear about how you do it also Smiley Happy  

2 Accepted solutions

Accepted Solutions
Occasional Contributor

Starting out, think of the groups you seem to filter to or segment to most often - particular product groups or some other identifying factor. Those are typically the lists we create.

Name wise - be concise but specific. Know what that list is without having to open it and review what the filtering is.

Folder wise - this is up to you. If we see a trend of lists that have similar properties, those go into a folder. For example, we have an "Accounts to look into" folder which holds lists like "No Activity for 60 Days", "Bounce Contacts", "Needs Assigned", etc. Whomever is doing contact clean up just needs to go to this folder to see what work needs to be done. 

Highlighted
Inbound Professor

http://imgur.com/a/VL3Gf

Hey! I put together a couple of images on imgur to help answer your question about how to store your lists in HS :-) 

As for best practice lists, much been written on the subject. I'd commit to a little heads down google and read time to figure out what'll work best for your particular situation. 

6 Replies 6
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

Hi Christoffer,

I hope you're keeping well. There would be no general "best practive" for segmenting your contacts within HubSpot. It really is all down to how you want to use the tools for your business. 

There is a great article on our blog that outlines how to begin segmenting your contacts using the HubSpot tools: http://blog.hubspot.com/customers/getting-started-with-segmentation

Hope this helps! 

Occasional Contributor

Starting out, think of the groups you seem to filter to or segment to most often - particular product groups or some other identifying factor. Those are typically the lists we create.

Name wise - be concise but specific. Know what that list is without having to open it and review what the filtering is.

Folder wise - this is up to you. If we see a trend of lists that have similar properties, those go into a folder. For example, we have an "Accounts to look into" folder which holds lists like "No Activity for 60 Days", "Bounce Contacts", "Needs Assigned", etc. Whomever is doing contact clean up just needs to go to this folder to see what work needs to be done. 

Highlighted
Inbound Professor

http://imgur.com/a/VL3Gf

Hey! I put together a couple of images on imgur to help answer your question about how to store your lists in HS :-) 

As for best practice lists, much been written on the subject. I'd commit to a little heads down google and read time to figure out what'll work best for your particular situation. 

Inbound Professor

Double posted.

Anonymous

Thanks for sharing @HubTrog Smiley Happy

Community Manager

Thanks for the tips guys!

@Christoffer were any of the above helpful to you - this is a great thread that I know many will find useful Smiley Happy

0 Upvotes