What is a good visits-to-contacts conversion rate?

SOLVE
Highlighted
New Contributor

Hi guys,

Finding conversion rates for how a single landing page should perform is easy enough. What I'm struggling to find clear benchmarks on what a good visits-to-contacts conversion rate is? I want to understand how well my website is performing overall in terms of converting leads.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Sam

1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Thought Leader | Diamond Partner

Hi @samueljohnr

This can vary wildly between business and so its quite hard to find reliable data on this. It can also be dramatically influenced by a number of factors, and so it's hard to reach average numbers. 

My recommendation would be that you focus on understanding your own current performance and on improving that. Any number that is better than when you started is a good outcome, regardless of benchmarks. 

What I can tell you is that most websites are not built for lead generation. It's normal to see a visitor to contact conversion rate of <1%. A move to between 2 and 5%, which is entirely possible with inbound, is a great result and can help a business achieve its goals.

But, continually increasing conversion rate isn't always possible or desirable.

For example, as you generate more blog content and start driving more traffic this way, conversion rate might actually go down, but the net numbers and quality will be up. 

And, some sources of traffic can convert at extremely differing levels. For example, we have one source of referral traffic that converts at nearly 20% - far higher than organic traffic. 

So again, I'd focus on your own results in this instance. 

Hope that helps.

Phil Vallender | Inbound marketing for B2B technology companies
1 Reply 1
Highlighted
Community Thought Leader | Diamond Partner

Hi @samueljohnr

This can vary wildly between business and so its quite hard to find reliable data on this. It can also be dramatically influenced by a number of factors, and so it's hard to reach average numbers. 

My recommendation would be that you focus on understanding your own current performance and on improving that. Any number that is better than when you started is a good outcome, regardless of benchmarks. 

What I can tell you is that most websites are not built for lead generation. It's normal to see a visitor to contact conversion rate of <1%. A move to between 2 and 5%, which is entirely possible with inbound, is a great result and can help a business achieve its goals.

But, continually increasing conversion rate isn't always possible or desirable.

For example, as you generate more blog content and start driving more traffic this way, conversion rate might actually go down, but the net numbers and quality will be up. 

And, some sources of traffic can convert at extremely differing levels. For example, we have one source of referral traffic that converts at nearly 20% - far higher than organic traffic. 

So again, I'd focus on your own results in this instance. 

Hope that helps.

Phil Vallender | Inbound marketing for B2B technology companies