Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

nthatcher-airbr
Contributor

What Original Source value to use for In-App team member invite?

SOLVE

Hello community, 

I am looking for recommendations on classifying a contact who has been invited to our app by an existing team member from within the app. 

The property in questions is 'Original Source' and the options are:

1. Organic Search 
  2. Paid Search 
  3. Email marketing 
  4. Organic Social 
  5. Referrals
  6. Other Campaigns 
  7. Direct Traffic
  8. Offline Sources
  9. Paid Social 

My gut is telling me to use Referrals and then use the property 'Original Source Drill-Down 1' to further classify as something like 'User Invite' and the 'Original Source Drill-Down 2' to be the email address of the user who invited them to Airbrake. 

Thoughts? 

1 Accepted solution
BukunmiOdetayo
Solution
Top Contributor | Partner

SOLVE

Thanks, @TiphaineCuisset 

Hello @nthatcher-airbr,

Yes! You already have a fantastic idea. Referrals are referrals, irrespective of from whom they come. 

However, the property "Original Source" itself is created and automatically set by hubspot when a contact is added to your database, although you are able to edit it as it's a radio select property. Aside from that, the referral option is the best since they join your database via someone telling/inviting them.

Also, the other two properties "Original source drill 1" and "original source drill 2" are created and set by hubspot. However, unlike the "original source" itself, you cannot edit these two and they are single-line text fields. 

So, here's what I will recommend:

You may create another custom property named "Lead Source" and have almost every possible sources where your lead might come from. They can be all the options that hubspot gave you in the "Original source" property plus all other options you can think of, and you can use a workflow to assign a lead source to contact as they are added to your database or manually set them yourself. 

Then, customise your table view to have all 4 properties: lead source, original source, original source drill down 1, original source drill down 2 in order. I am not sure what you need the drill down 1 and 2 for, but as you cannot edit those two, you may also need to create custom properties to replace them and set them as appropriate.

If you need to know who invited a contact if they come in by referral, that may actually require you to create a custom property that shows whether they are invited by someone internally from your team or a satisfied customer. Here, there will be only two options: if they are not invited by an internal team member, they are definitely invited by a satisfied customer. Workflows may also help you in such cases.

Let me know if this helps.

Warmest regards,

Bukunmi (Matt) Odetayo

Discuss Your Hubspot Needs

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
SMcQueen4

SOLVE

nice article thank you for the sharing i was looking this for my project apkpouch

BukunmiOdetayo
Solution

SOLVE

Thanks, @TiphaineCuisset 

Hello @nthatcher-airbr,

Yes! You already have a fantastic idea. Referrals are referrals, irrespective of from whom they come. 

However, the property "Original Source" itself is created and automatically set by hubspot when a contact is added to your database, although you are able to edit it as it's a radio select property. Aside from that, the referral option is the best since they join your database via someone telling/inviting them.

Also, the other two properties "Original source drill 1" and "original source drill 2" are created and set by hubspot. However, unlike the "original source" itself, you cannot edit these two and they are single-line text fields. 

So, here's what I will recommend:

You may create another custom property named "Lead Source" and have almost every possible sources where your lead might come from. They can be all the options that hubspot gave you in the "Original source" property plus all other options you can think of, and you can use a workflow to assign a lead source to contact as they are added to your database or manually set them yourself. 

Then, customise your table view to have all 4 properties: lead source, original source, original source drill down 1, original source drill down 2 in order. I am not sure what you need the drill down 1 and 2 for, but as you cannot edit those two, you may also need to create custom properties to replace them and set them as appropriate.

If you need to know who invited a contact if they come in by referral, that may actually require you to create a custom property that shows whether they are invited by someone internally from your team or a satisfied customer. Here, there will be only two options: if they are not invited by an internal team member, they are definitely invited by a satisfied customer. Workflows may also help you in such cases.

Let me know if this helps.

Warmest regards,

Bukunmi (Matt) Odetayo

Discuss Your Hubspot Needs

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

TiphaineCuisset
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @nthatcher-airbr 

Thank you for reaching out.

I want to tag some of our experts here - @Alex_Elborn @BukunmiOdetayo @Ben_M do you have any suggestion for @nthatcher-airbr on this?

Thank you!

Best

TIphaine

Saviez vous que la Communauté est disponible en français?
Rejoignez les discussions francophones en changeant votre langue dans les paramètres !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !