Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

Honorable
Contributor

Using tasks to follow tasks

SOLVE

Hello:

not necessarily a Service Hub question, but that is what I want to use this for... looking for some community wisdom :).  

I want to create "checklists" off of steps in ticket stages.   Ideally, I want you to (either) complete Task A, THEN B, THEN C (and/or)  complete tasks A, B AND C and be reminded that you must do so before moving to the next stage.  Suggestions on how, please?

Ultimate goal is to keep the number of actual ticket stages down by relying on background processes under each stage.

So for example, for the "Internal Workflow" stage,

Task A: Add users

Task B: Set up custom emails

Task C: Process review

^^ Ideally, you would get tasked to add users, then when marked complete->would get tasked to set up emails, then when complete-> get tasked to do a process review. 
If you move the ticket to the "External Workflow" stage, you would be messaged with a "are you sure?  did you complete A, B and C in the Internal Workflow stage?" type reminder.

I don't want to spam inboxes or task lists, so hoping for a clean way to do this.  Would be great to keep the workflow(s) simple here, too.

Thanks in advance for your input!

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @Honorable,

You can use the "Delay until event happens" > "Output from earlier action in this workflow" option for this:

karstenkoehler_0-1653885363930.png

I stopped after task 2 but the first and second step could be repeated again and again. There is also an option at the and of the sidebar "To create separate branches for event criteria met and event crteria not met" which would allow you to send a reminder in case the task is not completed within the specified time frame. (It's not possible include a link to the task in that email but you could link to the ticket record.)

In terms of not letting users move a ticket to the next status unless all tasks are completed, Kyle Jepson shared a video about blocking users from doing this here: https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6898988769068802048/

The required custom property he's talking about could be a property that our workflow above is ticking after the last task is completed.

This is definitely advanced stuff and should be tested thorougly, when set up.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @Honorable,

You can use the "Delay until event happens" > "Output from earlier action in this workflow" option for this:

karstenkoehler_0-1653885363930.png

I stopped after task 2 but the first and second step could be repeated again and again. There is also an option at the and of the sidebar "To create separate branches for event criteria met and event crteria not met" which would allow you to send a reminder in case the task is not completed within the specified time frame. (It's not possible include a link to the task in that email but you could link to the ticket record.)

In terms of not letting users move a ticket to the next status unless all tasks are completed, Kyle Jepson shared a video about blocking users from doing this here: https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6898988769068802048/

The required custom property he's talking about could be a property that our workflow above is ticking after the last task is completed.

This is definitely advanced stuff and should be tested thorougly, when set up.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

Honorable
Contributor

SOLVE

Thanks, @karstenkoehler! This should do what we need.

0 Upvotes