Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

MBoric
Participant

Using company tokens in contact workflow - Birthday Notifications

SOLVE

Hey HubSpot Community!

We ran into an issue that I couldn't find the answer to recently, and I just wanted to ask if somebody has managed to resolve a similar issue.

Our company has set up a Workflow (contact-based, focusing on a date), where we scheduled notifications about upcoming birthdays from our clients and employees to be posted in a Slack channel. The post shares the name, birthday and job function of the person whose birthday it is, but we also wanted to implement the company name. This is where we ran into an issue, as far as we can see, you cannot reference an associated company token in a contact-based workflow (I assume it's due to it being a Company Token, not a Contact Token).

Since we have a lot of contacts in general, getting the company name is pretty important for us. We have considered going through the entire company list and copying the "Associated Company" Field to the "Company Name" Field inside of each contact, but since our database is pretty big by now, that would be quite an undertaking, is there a better way to do this? Or perhaps any way how we could just directly reference the "Associated Company" Token?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Matt

1 Accepted solution
Phil_Vallender
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi @MBoric 

I assume you are using a 'send internal notification' type action in the workflow to post the information to Slack? These indeed only appear to be able to draw on properties from the primary object in the workflow, unlike enrolment criteria. 

The solution I would suggest is actually something I would have running anyway, a workflow that copies the name of the associated company to the contact for all contacts. I find this very useful in lots of circumstances. 

Hope this helps.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
MBoric
Participant

SOLVE

Hi @Phil_Vallender 

Thank you kindly for your help and the screenshot, it absolutely helped, we managed to get the workflow up and running successfully. 

0 Upvotes
MBoric
Participant

SOLVE

Hi @Phil_Vallender 

Thank you kindly for the fast answer, it did seem that way. I've already thought about creating a workflow that copies the name of the associated company to company name, but never managed to figure out with which Workflow I should do that (company based?). I'll look furhter into it, but if you perhaps have a hint or tip on getting started, we would very much appreciate it!

Thank you again!

0 Upvotes
Phil_Vallender

SOLVE

Hi @MBoric 

This contact-based workflow works fine for this:

Copy-Company-Name.png

Hope this helps?

Phil_Vallender
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @MBoric 

I assume you are using a 'send internal notification' type action in the workflow to post the information to Slack? These indeed only appear to be able to draw on properties from the primary object in the workflow, unlike enrolment criteria. 

The solution I would suggest is actually something I would have running anyway, a workflow that copies the name of the associated company to the contact for all contacts. I find this very useful in lots of circumstances. 

Hope this helps.