Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

CFord14

Unengaged Contact wants Marketing Emails

SOLVE

We have a specific contact who was identified as unengaged by Hubspot last year. She is specifically asking to receive our marketing emails, which we do not send to unengaged contacts. What can I do to get Hubspot to take her off of the unengaged contacts list? If she interacts with a single marketing email, will Hubspot re-engage her? Help!

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @CFord14,

HubSpot's suppression of unengaged contacts is based on the property Sends since last engagement. This cannot be edited, the value can only be reset to 0 if a contact opens or clicks an email.

The only way to "override" this would be to not check the box in the email editor Send tab or, and this is probably the best solution in your case, to create a custom list of unengaged contacts, following these criteria: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/email/what-is-graymail-and-how-can-i-avoid-sending-my-email-to-unengag...

Last marketing email open date is unknown

AND

Sends since last engagement is greater than 10

AND

Email is none of [your contact's email address]

OR

Last marketing email open date is known

AND

Sends since last engagement is greater than 15

AND

You would manually exclude this list from your email send and not check the box in the Send or schedule tab. (Also, you could adjust the criteria to your liking, increase the SSLE number or decrease it.)

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
rizq786
Contributor

SOLVE

If a person automatically selects all our emails and marks them as read woudl that help? and mark them back as unengaged?

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @CFord14,

HubSpot's suppression of unengaged contacts is based on the property Sends since last engagement. This cannot be edited, the value can only be reset to 0 if a contact opens or clicks an email.

The only way to "override" this would be to not check the box in the email editor Send tab or, and this is probably the best solution in your case, to create a custom list of unengaged contacts, following these criteria: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/email/what-is-graymail-and-how-can-i-avoid-sending-my-email-to-unengag...

Last marketing email open date is unknown

AND

Sends since last engagement is greater than 10

AND

OR

Last marketing email open date is known

AND

Sends since last engagement is greater than 15

AND

You would manually exclude this list from your email send and not check the box in the Send or schedule tab. (Also, you could adjust the criteria to your liking, increase the SSLE number or decrease it.)

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

EmmaAtKiwi
Top Contributor | Platinum Partner

SOLVE

Hi @CFord14! You can still email unengaged contacts without getting HubSpot involved. When you're about to send a Regular email, uncheck the "Don't send to unengaged contacts" box and the email WILL go to unengaged contacts (see example below). But remember, this will send to all your unengaged contacts, so it might be worth just sending an email to this idividual, or a smaller list.

And yes, once your contact has opened a single email, she will no longer be classified as unengaged. HubSpot defines unengaged as a contact that has not opened the last 11 marketing email you sent.

Screen Shot 2023-03-27 at 12.25.07 PM.png

Emma Washington

HubSpot Director @ Kiwi Creative

3x Accredited HubSpot Platinum Partner

HubSpot Certified Trainer
Leader of B2B Technology (USA) HubSpot User Group

Join our HubSpot Community Group for B2B Technology
CFord14

SOLVE
Can I send a marketing email to just that one contact? Does it have to go to a certain number of people to qualify as a marketing email? I don’t want to send an email to all of our unengaged contacts. Thanks for your help!
0 Upvotes
EmmaAtKiwi

SOLVE

You can indeed send to JUST one person, just pick their name from the "Send To" dropdown!

Emma Washington

HubSpot Director @ Kiwi Creative

3x Accredited HubSpot Platinum Partner

HubSpot Certified Trainer
Leader of B2B Technology (USA) HubSpot User Group

Join our HubSpot Community Group for B2B Technology
0 Upvotes