Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

DMurphy1
Contributor

Trying to add details/reasons to lead status

SOLVE

Hoping someone can figure this one out. When a lead status changes to Unqualified or Bad Timing, I want to add further detail that would be a required option. For instance, when someone chooses Unqualified for a lead, I want a conditional logic question to appear that asks for the reason for unqualifying the lead (not right product, no coverage in that area, etc). I could even live with just another contact property that could always to be shown and that could maybe be a dropdown with choices?

Does anyone else work their lead status this way?

0 Upvotes
2 Accepted solutions
dan_sitton
Solution
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi @DMurphy1,

I have a suggestion for a workaround that I have implemented. We had a similar problem because some leads might be unqualified for reasons like not having a budget but could later become qualified.

What we did was to use the Lead Status tool to determine who these leads might be. We created a new field called "Recycle" which was for these types of leads. "Unqualified" was reserved for people who would likely never be a fit. With "Recycle" we also pin a note on the contact that will give an overview as to why they are recycled, what needs to happen to qualify, and how the engagement ended. We periodically review the recycled leads to see if something has changed. We experimented with creating a contact field "Follow Up Review" which sets a date on the calendar to review, but I prefer just setting a task to review these leads periodically (quarterly or annually). This view can be set up in Sales, and if nothing remains changed for a certain period of time they can be moved to "Unqualified".

We have our marketing side set up so that if they convert on a middle or bottom of the funnel offer it will trigger a movement to MQL or SQL so they will re-enter the funnel if they are still in the Buyer's Journey.

I know this is a lot of words, but I hope this helps!

If you have any questions, we can have a more in-depth conversation offline.

View solution in original post

Kurtz-Michael
Solution

SOLVE

When a lead is disqualified, instead of updating the Lead Status, create a new property called "Disqualified Reason".  Then, within that new property, include various reasons for why the lead was disqualifed: No Budget, Timing, Company Size, etc.

Then create a workflow to update the Lead Status to "disqualified" when the Disqualified Reason property is anything but (Blank).

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
Kurtz-Michael
Solution

SOLVE

When a lead is disqualified, instead of updating the Lead Status, create a new property called "Disqualified Reason".  Then, within that new property, include various reasons for why the lead was disqualifed: No Budget, Timing, Company Size, etc.

Then create a workflow to update the Lead Status to "disqualified" when the Disqualified Reason property is anything but (Blank).

Kurtz-Michael

SOLVE

We've also done something similar with our Closed Lost stage.  Upon choosing 'Closed Lost', our reps our mandated to enter a Closed Lost reason which allows us to identify training/process improvement opportunities.  We also create 3 additional Closed Lost stages: Duplicate, Competitor and Other with an open text field to further associate (the duplicate account, the name of the competitor and the 'other' rationale so that the company can assess whether we need to update the original closed lost dropdown picklist.

Budget not Approved
Contact Left Company or Changed Roles
Could not reach After Demo
Do not Contact
DQ'd (Not a Fit)
No Longer Interested
No Response to Proposal
No Show to Demo
Pricing Concerns
Product Limitations
RFP Lost
Timing

0 Upvotes
dan_sitton
Solution
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi @DMurphy1,

I have a suggestion for a workaround that I have implemented. We had a similar problem because some leads might be unqualified for reasons like not having a budget but could later become qualified.

What we did was to use the Lead Status tool to determine who these leads might be. We created a new field called "Recycle" which was for these types of leads. "Unqualified" was reserved for people who would likely never be a fit. With "Recycle" we also pin a note on the contact that will give an overview as to why they are recycled, what needs to happen to qualify, and how the engagement ended. We periodically review the recycled leads to see if something has changed. We experimented with creating a contact field "Follow Up Review" which sets a date on the calendar to review, but I prefer just setting a task to review these leads periodically (quarterly or annually). This view can be set up in Sales, and if nothing remains changed for a certain period of time they can be moved to "Unqualified".

We have our marketing side set up so that if they convert on a middle or bottom of the funnel offer it will trigger a movement to MQL or SQL so they will re-enter the funnel if they are still in the Buyer's Journey.

I know this is a lot of words, but I hope this helps!

If you have any questions, we can have a more in-depth conversation offline.

gelflex-cc
Key Advisor

SOLVE

@dan_sitton Love this idea. Thanks for sharing

0 Upvotes
DMurphy1
Contributor

SOLVE

I think that could work but it doesn't help me too much on the reporting side of things. I like th idea of adding in a Recycle status so that they aren't all grouped in with Unqualified. But we were hoping to find trends in what stopped thaem from being a good fit. Adding those sorts of details to the notes section isn't as reportable as we'd like. But it is a start. So thank you!

roisinkirby
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

Hey @DMurphy1 at this time the HubSpot CRM does not support these type of input, but I would highly reccomend searching the Ideas Forum to see if there is a similar feature request you can vote for and/or posting your own!

In the meantime I'd encourage you to add this context to the notes tool, or create a custom contact property for this information. If you have access to the Workflows tool you can use if/then logic to set the custom contact property. 

0 Upvotes
roisinkirby
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

Hey @DMurphy1 at this time the HubSpot CRM does not support these type of input, but I would highly reccomend searching the Ideas Forum to see if there is a similar feature request you can vote for and/or posting your own!

In the meantime I'd encourage you to add this context to the notes tool, or create a custom contact property for this information. If you have access to the Workflows tool you can use if/then logic to set the custom contact property. 

0 Upvotes