Troubleshooting Toolkit: Collecting a HAR file

Community Manager

When it comes to websites, we all know there is more information than what is on the page level. Sometimes in order to troubleshoot a specific issue, HubSpot Support needs a deeper level of information than the error message on the screen, or a screenshot of what isn’t loading. The HAR file can be a valuable piece of content to assist with troubleshooting complex website issues and you may be asked to send a HAR file to HubSpot Support.

A HAR file is a log of activity between an internet browser and a website, and can be accessed through the inspector tool within your web browser.

If you are requested to get a HAR file please follow the steps below. These steps are specific to Google Chrome, which is available for download here.

1. Open Chrome and navigate to the page where the issue is occurring.

2. Right click on your screen and choose “inspect”.

3. Select the “network” tab.

4. Check the “preserve log” and “disable cache” checkboxes.

You will want to ensure that your network tab is recording by looking for the red record button:

Screen Shot 2017-06-20 at 3.57.54 PM.png. If it is grey or black, click it to begin recording. If you have any activity that already loaded in your network tab, you can clear it by clicking clear: 

Screen Shot 2017-06-20 at 3.45.21 PM.png

5. Perform the action, or reload the page, that is causing the issue with the network tab open and recording.

6. Once you have completed the action and the network tab has loaded all of the content, right click within the inspector tool, and select “save as har with content”.

7. Save the file to the desired location on your computer and then attach it to your Support ticket.HAR FILE EXAMPLE.gif

Portuguese translation available here.

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
8 Replies 8
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing @jennysowyrda!

0 Upvotes
Occasional Contributor

When I try to add my HAR file to the support ticket, i'm receiving an error message saying: Sorry, That file type isn't supported. 

So how should I sent in the HAR file? 

0 Upvotes
Community Manager

@estherdewinter1

It may be the size of the file that is preventing you from sending it. If you are unable to directly attach the file, you can upload it to an external location and then send along the link. 

You can also try re-doing the action and ensuring that only the har data from the specific action that is not working is recorded to reduce the size of the file. 

Thank you,

Jenny

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
0 Upvotes
New Contributor

I also had issues attaching the HAR file, it's only 4mb..

0 Upvotes
Community Manager

Hey @Lloyd-Russell are you trying to attach the file to a Community thread, private message or using the Support Inbox for customers in your portal?

0 Upvotes
Occasional Contributor

Private messages don't allow for an attachment FYI.

0 Upvotes
Visitor

For those of you having trouble uploading the HAR file to your support ticket, you need to add ".har" to the file name when saving it. The help article neglected to mention this.
This will change the file type extension from "File" to "HAR" and will allow you to attach the HAR file to the support ticket. 
The support ticket system does not accept "File" as a valid attachment type.

I have attached a photo for those who may be confused to what I am refferring to.

HAR Upload.png

Best,

Dan

Visitor

gracias

0 Upvotes