Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

Crystal_Hopper
Key Advisor

Tips, Tricks, or Best Practices for keeping track of Direct Mail efforts

SOLVE

Hi all!

One of our new sales people has been sending direct mail pieces to his prospects. There was a batch of contacts who got Mail Piece #1. Then Mail Piece #2 was developed and sent to the original batch. But, also, more contacts were added to the list and the new ones got Mail Piece #1 & #2. This is going to go on for at least 5 more rounds. 

My question is, in Hubspot, how granularly should I track which contacts are being included in this project. Also, should I track which mail pieces they've been sent? I want to know if this project is creating more online traffic & email engagement from these prospects. 

What do you think? Should I just dump them all on a list and treat them the same? Would you get more granular about it and track each individual send? Let me know your thoughts! Thanks!

Did my post solve the questions or challenge? Please mark it as a solution for others to find.
0 Upvotes
2 Accepted solutions
ElyshaShave
Solution
Top Contributor | Platinum Partner

SOLVE

Not a problem at all 🙂 

In this case, I would ensure that there is a custom contact property set-up to track when the contact recieved the package so that you can create an active list with the criteria:

> Parcel Recieved is equal to Yes

> Last Engagement date is (the date after the contact recieved the parcel)

Let me know if this helps 🙂 

Thanks, 

Elysha Shave

Client Success Manager

BBDBoom.com

View solution in original post

CarrieGStL
Solution
Participant

SOLVE

Hi @Crystal_Hopper ,

I do this with my business development rep as a part of a sequence and set the mailers up as tasks. We build out a sequence with a combo of emails + calls + direct mail (tasks) and utilize a list to segment and to make it easier to bulk add. Mailer #1 would actually be Task #1, Mailer #2 is Task#2 and so on and certain days of the sequence. I export the list with the necessary name and address fields and set up her mailers for her in batches. I know the mailers go out at 10/20/30 days after the start of the sequence so I have everything prepped and ready for her to grab and go when the task pops into her feed.

When you're analyzing which is more effective, I'm assuming you have links specifically for the mailers that you're directing people to which should answer your question as to whether your online traffic is getting their attention or the direct mail.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8
TDavis17

SOLVE

Keeping track of direct mail efforts is essential to ensure that your marketing campaign is on track and achieving your goals. Here are some tips, tricks, and best practices to help you keep track of your direct mail efforts:

Set Clear Goals: Before you start your direct mail campaign, establish clear goals for what you want to achieve. These goals should be specific, measurable, and time-bound.

Create a Tracking System: Develop a tracking system that allows you to monitor the progress of your direct mail campaign. You can use spreadsheets, customer relationship management (CRM) software, or other tools to track metrics such as response rates, conversion rates, and ROI.

Segment Your Audience: To increase the effectiveness of your direct mail efforts, segment your audience based on their demographics, behavior, or other relevant factors. This will help you tailor your messaging and offers to each group, which can lead to higher response rates.

Test and Iterate: Test different variables in your direct mail campaign, such as the offer, messaging, and design, to determine what works best. Use the results of these tests to iterate and improve your campaign.

Use Unique URLs and Codes: To track the effectiveness of your direct mail campaign, use unique URLs or codes on your mail pieces that are specific to each recipient. This will allow you to track who responded to your mail piece and the actions they took.

Monitor Responses: Be sure to monitor responses to your direct mail campaign in a timely manner. This will help you identify any issues with your campaign and make adjustments as needed.

Measure ROI: Calculate the return on investment (ROI) of your direct mail campaign to determine its overall effectiveness. This will help you make informed decisions about future campaigns.

By following these tips, tricks, and best practices, you can keep track of your direct mail efforts and maximize the effectiveness of your marketing campaigns.

0 Upvotes
CarrieGStL
Solution
Participant

SOLVE

Hi @Crystal_Hopper ,

I do this with my business development rep as a part of a sequence and set the mailers up as tasks. We build out a sequence with a combo of emails + calls + direct mail (tasks) and utilize a list to segment and to make it easier to bulk add. Mailer #1 would actually be Task #1, Mailer #2 is Task#2 and so on and certain days of the sequence. I export the list with the necessary name and address fields and set up her mailers for her in batches. I know the mailers go out at 10/20/30 days after the start of the sequence so I have everything prepped and ready for her to grab and go when the task pops into her feed.

When you're analyzing which is more effective, I'm assuming you have links specifically for the mailers that you're directing people to which should answer your question as to whether your online traffic is getting their attention or the direct mail.

Hope this helps!

Crystal_Hopper
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Thank you for the input @CarrieGStL. Hopefully mailing items like this will become routine and we can build a sequence for the work. Right now, it is just a one-off project for a short time. But I could see how sequences and Tasks would create the on-going timestamps I'm envisioning. Thank you for the idea!

Did my post solve the questions or challenge? Please mark it as a solution for others to find.
ElyshaShave

SOLVE

Hi,

I just wanted to drop in with some advise here: 

When emailing prospects that you have a record for within your HubSpot accout, I would advise on tracking all email sends for further purposes. It can then also mean that you have full visability into what the email copy looks like, whether the contact enged and responded and the latest update on that prospect. 

To enable the tracking, you can install the HubSpot Sales Extension - I have attached the instructions here for you: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/connected-email/how-to-install-hubspot-sales

After installing this, all emails sent to prospects will be recorded under their contact record in the activity timeline.

Let me know if you have any further questions 🙂 

Thanks,

Elysha Shave

Client Success Manager

BBDBoom.com

Crystal_Hopper
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Thank you @ElyshaShave for the response. I may not have been clear, but I'm looking to track Direct Mail (envelopes that go through USPS) pieces so I can see if after a piece is received if that contact or company has more online traffic.

0 Upvotes
MFarmer4

SOLVE

I am not sure about your service but i use this mail tracking service.

0 Upvotes
ElyshaShave
Solution

SOLVE

Not a problem at all 🙂 

In this case, I would ensure that there is a custom contact property set-up to track when the contact recieved the package so that you can create an active list with the criteria:

> Parcel Recieved is equal to Yes

> Last Engagement date is (the date after the contact recieved the parcel)

Let me know if this helps 🙂 

Thanks, 

Elysha Shave

Client Success Manager

BBDBoom.com

Crystal_Hopper
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Thank you for the input! I will consider this.

0 Upvotes