Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

VanessaDendy

Time Spent In Between Two Stages

SOLVE

Hello Team!

This is really a big problem we have where we have a pipeline and we want to track the time spent on each deal stage - as well as - time spent in between two stages. I saw there were some guidelines on doing it but I don't feel very confident implementing them myself. Can somebody help? 

0 Upvotes
3 Accepted solutions
JHaber6
Solution
Contributor | Elite Partner

SOLVE

Hi Vanessa! I'd recommend creating date fields to capture the date that a deal that stage. Then create a workflow with a value equals branch or a ton of if/then branches to fill in those date fields when a deal reaches that stage. It will look something like this:

JHaber6_0-1657825885394.png

You'll also want to think through if you want to measure when a deal first enters a stage or most recently enters a stage, as well as if users ever skip stages and how to handle.

Once you have the dates, you can create calculation fields to measure the differnece between dates or use formula fields if you're have operations hub.

Jenna Haber

646-481-8115

View solution in original post

karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @JHaber6,

This can be achieved with workflows. (Without, it's unfortunately not possible.) Here's what you would do step by step.

1. Create custom date properties for each stage on the deal object, I'd recommend calling these "Entered [deal stage] date".
  2. Create a deal-based workflow which sets the value of each date property to the date of the step, as shown below. Make sure that re-enrollment is enabled as shown in the sidebar (click into the enrollment criteria and switch into the enrollment tab to access the setting).karstenkoehler_0-1657859717775.png
  3. Create a calculation property to calculate the time between every pair of dates, by following these steps and choosing the "Time between" option in calculation properties. For stage 1 and 2, create a property "Time in stage 1", for stage 2 and 3, create a property "Time in stage 2" etc.

That should be it!

Keep in mind that this will only work if deals move through each stage in order. Once a deal skips a stage, this system will break.

By the way, if you have access to workflows, you might have access to sales analytics as well. Under Menu > Reports > Analytics > Sales analytics, there is a "Time spent in deal stage" report:

karstenkoehler_1-1657859934295.png

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

Dan1
Solution
Guide

SOLVE

Hi @VanessaDendy , 

There are lots of HubSpot solutions partners that could help you with the execution if you need pro help, @karstenkoehler and @JHaber6 are very good indeed!! 

We're HubSpot App partners so we couldn't help you with the setup but we do provide some sneek peaks into how we run our own HubSpot account. Maybe the blog and video below might help, with the time in deal stage piece. 

The solution was featured in HubSpots Community Blog:

Time in Deal Stage - A Sneak Peek into our account

If you prefer a video step by step: 

All the best, 

Dan Currin 

Co-Founder 

OrgChartHub Ltd 

GeoMapper

OrgChartHub & GeoMapper named in the Top 30 HubSpot Apps 

Dan1_0-1658500510765.png

4 Replies 4
amizelle
Participant

SOLVE

Try using the Timerman SLA app in the Marketplace. I use that with clients on the Service Hub side to get more accurate tracking on their SLAs and service ticket stages, but it does the same thing for deal stages. There's a free trial so you can see if it works for your use case. 

0 Upvotes
Dan1
Solution
Guide

SOLVE

Hi @VanessaDendy , 

There are lots of HubSpot solutions partners that could help you with the execution if you need pro help, @karstenkoehler and @JHaber6 are very good indeed!! 

We're HubSpot App partners so we couldn't help you with the setup but we do provide some sneek peaks into how we run our own HubSpot account. Maybe the blog and video below might help, with the time in deal stage piece. 

The solution was featured in HubSpots Community Blog:

Time in Deal Stage - A Sneak Peek into our account

If you prefer a video step by step: 

All the best, 

Dan Currin 

Co-Founder 

OrgChartHub Ltd 

GeoMapper

OrgChartHub & GeoMapper named in the Top 30 HubSpot Apps 

Dan1_0-1658500510765.png

karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @JHaber6,

This can be achieved with workflows. (Without, it's unfortunately not possible.) Here's what you would do step by step.

1. Create custom date properties for each stage on the deal object, I'd recommend calling these "Entered [deal stage] date".
  2. Create a deal-based workflow which sets the value of each date property to the date of the step, as shown below. Make sure that re-enrollment is enabled as shown in the sidebar (click into the enrollment criteria and switch into the enrollment tab to access the setting).karstenkoehler_0-1657859717775.png
  3. Create a calculation property to calculate the time between every pair of dates, by following these steps and choosing the "Time between" option in calculation properties. For stage 1 and 2, create a property "Time in stage 1", for stage 2 and 3, create a property "Time in stage 2" etc.

That should be it!

Keep in mind that this will only work if deals move through each stage in order. Once a deal skips a stage, this system will break.

By the way, if you have access to workflows, you might have access to sales analytics as well. Under Menu > Reports > Analytics > Sales analytics, there is a "Time spent in deal stage" report:

karstenkoehler_1-1657859934295.png

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

JHaber6
Solution

SOLVE

Hi Vanessa! I'd recommend creating date fields to capture the date that a deal that stage. Then create a workflow with a value equals branch or a ton of if/then branches to fill in those date fields when a deal reaches that stage. It will look something like this:

JHaber6_0-1657825885394.png

You'll also want to think through if you want to measure when a deal first enters a stage or most recently enters a stage, as well as if users ever skip stages and how to handle.

Once you have the dates, you can create calculation fields to measure the differnece between dates or use formula fields if you're have operations hub.

Jenna Haber

646-481-8115