Tasks, Events, Meetings & Calendar best practices

erikblues
Top Contributor

We abandoned tasks in salesforce a long time ago, because tasks don't have a set time to be done.

This always caused the problem that tasks ended up piping up untill users lost controll over their work.

So today, we set events into the calendar, which has the advantage that there is no way to schedule an event at a time where another event is already planned.

But what would be the best way to solve this using hubspot? How do other teams manage their open tasks? In hubspot tasks don't even seem to appear in the calendar, so how are others solving this?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

0 Upvotes
14 Replies 14
Bryantworks
Key Advisor

Hey @erikblues 

So you can schedule tasks several different ways in HubSpot, manually, by a set of actions in a workflow, from the sales extension and the calendar that's within HubSpot.  

To view tasks in a calendar like you've stated head to Marketing > Planning & Strategy > Calendar.   You should be able to see a list of tasks there, and create new ones for your team members to work:

Calendar _ HubSpot - Google Chrome 2019-04-02 21.25.00.png

These tasks don't sync to their Outlook or Google Calendar though, but they should get an email notification about them being created and when they're coming up to their due date:

Shift 2019-04-02 21.25.19.png

I've worked with several different clients and they handle them in many different ways. If you could help me better understand the way you'd like to handle them I'd be happy to guide you in a direction that I think my best fit your needs.  I hope I was able to shed some light on tasks in HubSpot!

Chris Bryant | Your Dedicated HubSpot Expert
erikblues
Top Contributor

Hi @Bryantworks and @bradmin 

I'll try to explain our situation a bit better:

Our team uses salesforce to schedule events in the future. This has worked better than tasks because:

• tasks have no time binding:
    • for employees this was bad because they could get several tasks assigned to the same day and the system would accept it, with no controll like "can a person really complete 67 tasks in one day? People would just randomly put tasks to be completed "in the future" and once a user was unable to finish tasks in a day, he would also throm then to the future and a snowball effect started happening
    • For managers this was bad because, even if they set a certain ammount of tasks for one day, the user could pick which task to do first, leaving harder things for later and sometimes not getting the productivity they expected from people
  • events, on the other hand, are bound to a time frame:
    • "check in on this customer during the first hour of the day", making sure people know what to do at what time
    • doesn't allow 2 events at the same time ("that time is already booked for another event")
    • if the day whole is already booked, does not allow for more events in that same day

So my question for the community:

How do you handle this? Do you use tasks or calendar events?

Personally, I think tasks are more useful for projects and "internal processes", but shouldn't be used for things like "contact this customer" or "update this negotiation" because of the restrictions explained above.

But then, how to do this in hubspot, since hubspot does not allow for the creation of events in the calendar?

I've even seen people using meeting-invitation-links to send tasks to employees. And I've also seen salesmen use meeting-invitation-links to schedule a time with themselves to remember to contact a customer.

What is your approach? Is simply putting the event directly into google calendar an alternative? But then we would have to copy the contat's URL into google calendar manually every time.

Is there some other way to handle this which I am not seeing?

0 Upvotes
bradmin
Key Advisor

Apologies on the delay, @erikblues. The short answer is that you can't do this in HubSpot. The uneditable functionality is that you have the abiity to sync form submissions or email sends/opens/clicks as tasks, but they show up in Salesforce as tasks. As the events that sync represent previously-recorded information, the connector simply creates tasks for those in Salesforce, with the activity date matching the date that event occurred on the HubSpot side. 

You can accomplish what you're looking for with additional Salesforce automation, but there won't be any options in HubSpot to give you extra flexibility. You could create Process Builder automation which creates a duplicate event, when a key task is created by the integration user in HubSpot. 

Brad Mampe, Salesforce Analyst, Fidelity
I'm probably wrong. I may not be right about that.
erikblues
Top Contributor

Hi @bradmin , I still trying to wrap my head around this.

How do other companies work? do you use hubspot tasks for everything?

I am thinking about just using google calendar events for this. It will not be optimal since we will have to manually copy the contact's URL into each of the events, but I can't find any other workaround (since we wan't to abandon Salesforce).

0 Upvotes
gelflex-cc
Recognized Expert

@Bryantworks What level of service is needed to see the tasks on a calendar?

0 Upvotes
Bryantworks
Key Advisor

@gelflex-cc You would need either Marketing Professional or Enterprise to get access to the calendar.

Chris Bryant | Your Dedicated HubSpot Expert
0 Upvotes
bradmin
Key Advisor

Hi, @erikblues. As you've probably noticed, the connector creates closed tasks in Salesforce, representing the date of the form submission or email activity the task occurred from HubSpot. 

With Salesforce automation, you can either write workflow rules to set the task date to some arbitrary point in the future (like adding one week to the task due date), or use something like Process Builder to create duplicate open events when HubSpot tasks are created. (The latter isn't a great idea, as given the volume of tasks HubSpot creates in Salesforce, creating duplicates could create hits against your Salesforce data storage limits.)

erikblues
Top Contributor

@bradmin  & @Bryantworks 

I decied to submit this as an idea to the forum, with an approach which I thing would be better than salesforce's current sollution.

Would love to hear your feedback on this! Do you have any suggestions?

https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/Add-google-calendar-events-from-contact-view/idi-p/26...

0 Upvotes
bradmin
Key Advisor

Sorry, I've been trying to handle this all from a Salesforce calendar and events standpoint. There is an option which allows you to integrate Google Calendar with HubSpot

erikblues
Top Contributor

@bradmin I don't think we are talking about the same thing.

I already integrated the calendars. There is no option to create events though, just meetings, calls or tasks.

What if the event is "spend monday morning fixing the code on the webpage"? There is no way to schedule this, is there?

What if the event is "spend tuesday afternoon building a custom presentation for a certain customer"? How would I register this? As a task? But then what is other customers schedule a meeting with me during the same time?

Should I create a task and, just to keep that time unavailable, should I create an event in my calendar then? So now I have 1 thing to take care of, but have to create a task and a google calendar event just for one simple task?

Please take a deeper look at the idea I posted.

0 Upvotes
gelflex-cc
Recognized Expert

@bradmin Can you expand more on the integration with a Google Calendar? Where would I see it in HubSpot other than meetings?   Is there a certain subscription needed - starter, pro, enterprise?

Thanks.

0 Upvotes
bradmin
Key Advisor

I was referring to Salesforce's native calendar function, and not Google calendar. 

erikblues
Top Contributor

Extra info:

At the moment, the only solution I found was to tell my team to use the google calendar to "create events" and then copy|paste the HubSpot's contact/company URL into the google calendar event.

Problems with this:

• If people copy the wrong link, the event is gone
  • The event does not 'exist' saved in HubSpot (so on the day of the event, the event has to be manually added to HubSpot as a note or a completed task)
  • There is no way to see which events have been forgotten or ignored
AnnaScotland
Contributor

We would like to be able to filter the calendar of tasks by individual team member - is this in development Hubspot? Anyone else like this functionality or am I missing how to set it up?

0 Upvotes