Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

LeKevoid
Contributor

Setting up Domains : what could go wrong ?

SOLVE

Hi all !

I don't know if this is the best place to ask, but here it goes...

My company has a site, which is not hosted on Hubspot and not using the CMS.

We have the little label "via bf06x.hubspotemail.net" in the header of our Marketing emails because we haven't set up our domain. The only subdomain we have set up is marketing.companyname.com.

We'd like to get rid of the "via bf06x.hubspotemail.net", I'm just worried setting up the domain will break something. The documentation sounds pretty straightforward but they do seem to speak from the point of view of someone who has their whole site hosted on Hubspot.

Is it really as plug-and-play as the docs seem to imply ? Is there anything that can go wrong, like suddenly being unable to send emails because the domain sounds "faulty" somehow ? Or having suddenly a super-high bounce rate or spam rate ? Or could it even break our domain and cause issues with our actual .com site ?

Thank you !

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
dianalcont
Solution
Top Contributor | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi @LeKevoid 

Totally a valid concern - but as long as you aren't abusing folks' inboxes with your marketing emails, it shouldn't be a problem.

Connecting the sending domain is totally as plug-and-play as it sounds in the documentation. It's easy to set up and makes all the difference in the end-user's experience. We do it for all of our clients.

If you're worried about the deliverability of your team's emails from their own inbox and you have another domain you can use - HubSpot allows you to set up the sending domain with a separate domain from the primary domain you set up for landing pages, blogs and emails.

For example

Primary domain for landing pages is - marketing.companydomain.com

Sending domain can either be name@companydomain.com  OR name@cmpnydomain.com 

Like I mentioned above, as long as you aren't abusing inboxes and your emails provide value first, you shouldn't need to do this workaround and your sending domain should be totally safe.

Just keep an eye on:

• your bounce rates because this is a red flag for the health of your list
  • unsubscribe rates because this could mean a spike in Spam reports
  • engagement with your emails - more engagement means better deliverability

I've never seen a deliverability issue affect emails sent through actual inboxes even as we worked through the three bullets I outlined above. There is definitely some wiggle room there before you get blocked by ESPs.

Hope this helps!

Diana

Did this post help solve your problem? Help the community and mark it as a solution.
Diana Contreras
Helping B2Bs grow faster with a systematic inbound marketing framework.
HubSpot Diamond Partner BadgeA Diamond Solutions Partner
Book 30 Minutes with Diana »

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1
dianalcont
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @LeKevoid 

Totally a valid concern - but as long as you aren't abusing folks' inboxes with your marketing emails, it shouldn't be a problem.

Connecting the sending domain is totally as plug-and-play as it sounds in the documentation. It's easy to set up and makes all the difference in the end-user's experience. We do it for all of our clients.

If you're worried about the deliverability of your team's emails from their own inbox and you have another domain you can use - HubSpot allows you to set up the sending domain with a separate domain from the primary domain you set up for landing pages, blogs and emails.

For example

Primary domain for landing pages is - marketing.companydomain.com

Sending domain can either be name@companydomain.com  OR name@cmpnydomain.com 

Like I mentioned above, as long as you aren't abusing inboxes and your emails provide value first, you shouldn't need to do this workaround and your sending domain should be totally safe.

Just keep an eye on:

• your bounce rates because this is a red flag for the health of your list
  • unsubscribe rates because this could mean a spike in Spam reports
  • engagement with your emails - more engagement means better deliverability

I've never seen a deliverability issue affect emails sent through actual inboxes even as we worked through the three bullets I outlined above. There is definitely some wiggle room there before you get blocked by ESPs.

Hope this helps!

Diana

Did this post help solve your problem? Help the community and mark it as a solution.
Diana Contreras
Helping B2Bs grow faster with a systematic inbound marketing framework.
HubSpot Diamond Partner BadgeA Diamond Solutions Partner
Book 30 Minutes with Diana »