Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

Jenn4
Teilnehmer/-in

Setting up Automated External Email Based on Deal Stage

lösung

Hello,

I am trying to setup a workflow that will send out a specific email to the deal contact once the deal hits a certain stage. It seems that in the "External Communication" option, it lets me choose "Send email" from both a Deal based workflow and a Contact based workflow but the "Send email" option only allows me to send the email to a marketing contact. The deal contact will not always be the marketing contact. So instead I tried the "Enroll in a sequence" option but when I try to choose the sender it will populate the correct Sender but then the Sender's email is not there and I cannot complete the workflow action.

I am trying to setup an automated process so that when a deal moves to Closed Won the deal contact will receive an email informing them of the next steps in our onboarding process.

Any help on this would be appreciated! 

0 Upvotes
1 Akzeptierte Lösung
karstenkoehler
Lösung
Berühmtheit | Partner
Berühmtheit | Partner

lösung

Hi @Jenn4,

The marketing contact status is just a billing feature - it does not trigger any marketing emails.

If that's your concern, it would be a better idea to tighten your other email and marketing workflow criteria. You shouldn't rely on the marketing contact status. It's really just saying "This contact is generally eligible to receive marketing emails and we have to pay HubSpot for it."

Best regards

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

Lösung in ursprünglichem Beitrag anzeigen

0 Upvotes
5 Antworten
Jenn4
Teilnehmer/-in

lösung

So within the workflow when I choose Send email under External Communication this is the message I receive. 

Jenn4_0-1657810446431.png

So will the contact that is associated with the Deal still receive the automated message from the workflow even if they are listed as a non-marketing contact?

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Berühmtheit | Partner
Berühmtheit | Partner

lösung

Hi @Jenn4,

No, they won't. Only marketing contacts can receive emails. You need to make sure they're set as such before.

You can achieve this with a contact based workflow setting all contacts as marketing contacts when the Number of associated deals is greater than 0.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

0 Upvotes
Jenn4
Teilnehmer/-in

lösung

That is where my issue lies, not all of our deal contact should be marketing contacts. I don't want to mark them as such and they begin to get other marketing materials not intended for them. Is there a way to do this without marking them as a marketing contact?

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Lösung
Berühmtheit | Partner
Berühmtheit | Partner

lösung

Hi @Jenn4,

The marketing contact status is just a billing feature - it does not trigger any marketing emails.

If that's your concern, it would be a better idea to tighten your other email and marketing workflow criteria. You shouldn't rely on the marketing contact status. It's really just saying "This contact is generally eligible to receive marketing emails and we have to pay HubSpot for it."

Best regards

Karsten Köhler

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Berühmtheit | Partner
Berühmtheit | Partner

lösung

Hi @Jenn4,

When you're saying marketing contact, are you referring to HubSpot's marketing contact feature? This does not have anything to do with a role someone has at a company, it's purely a billing functionality. If you want to send automated emails to a contact, they're counting towards your billable contacts total. That's why a contact must be a marketing contact.

Considering that, setting up a deal-based workflow with an automated email is pretty straight forward:

karstenkoehler_0-1657773625672.png

If your contact is not marked as marketing contact, you might want to create a contact-based workflow to set contact with Lifecycle stage "Opportunity", for example, as marketing contacts.

Enrolling in sequences is not available in deal-based workflows, as far as I know. Generally, if you can't select the "From email address" it's probably because this user has not connected their personal email yet.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

0 Upvotes