Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

SimonP1
Contributor

Set Property Value for 1 Deal, not all Deals associated

SOLVE

I am trying to run a workflow that updates the Deal Pipeline and Stage of only one deal associated with a contact, but am getting a behavior where all Deals Associated get updated. Is there any way to set the Set Property Value action to only apply to One Associated Deal and not All? If not, are there trigger workarounds that can subselect the right deal?

0 Upvotes
2 Accepted solutions
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @SimonP1,

This can be achieved with association labels. These labels are a way to name a relationship between records, in your case contact and deal. A deal could have the label "Primary deal". Once set up, these labels can be used in workflows and you can decide which deal should be updated, based on the label of the deal (versus all associated deals).

Another way to approach this is to re-think your workflow as a deal-based workflow instead of a contact-based workflow. This sometimes requires assisting properties. So instead of a contact-based workflow that updates all associated deals, try to re-think your workflow as a deal-based workflow that enrolls deals where associated contacts fulfill certain criteria. (You can reference contact properties in deal enrollment triggers.) If you're not sure how exactly to tackle this, feel free to share screenshots of your workflows.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @SimonP1,

The article is referring to companies but you might be able to set these associations via import: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/crm-setup/associations-enhancements-beta#import-to-set-company-associa...

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
SimonP1
Contributor

SOLVE

I can likely do this, but is Import the ONLY way to configure the Deal to Contact Associations? It seems like there should be a way inside the UI to do this for individual records.

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @SimonP1,

This is a fairly new feature and it's being improved rapidly, at the moment there are only the options mentioned in the linked article, unfortunately.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @SimonP1,

This can be achieved with association labels. These labels are a way to name a relationship between records, in your case contact and deal. A deal could have the label "Primary deal". Once set up, these labels can be used in workflows and you can decide which deal should be updated, based on the label of the deal (versus all associated deals).

Another way to approach this is to re-think your workflow as a deal-based workflow instead of a contact-based workflow. This sometimes requires assisting properties. So instead of a contact-based workflow that updates all associated deals, try to re-think your workflow as a deal-based workflow that enrolls deals where associated contacts fulfill certain criteria. (You can reference contact properties in deal enrollment triggers.) If you're not sure how exactly to tackle this, feel free to share screenshots of your workflows.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler

SimonP1
Contributor

SOLVE

Thank you for the quick reply. I will try the Associations Beta and see if this helps.

0 Upvotes
SimonP1
Contributor

SOLVE

I have enabled the Associations Beta and configured some labels for my Deal to Contact Associations and I see the option to select in the Workflow. However, I am not sure how to define the associations for existing deals.

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @SimonP1,

The article is referring to companies but you might be able to set these associations via import: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/crm-setup/associations-enhancements-beta#import-to-set-company-associa...

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler