Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

jleow
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Reverting Bulk Property Changes by Importing Historical Property Values

HubSpot makes it simple to update and maintain databases with bulk property editing and updating properties via workflows. But at the same time, it's also easy to incorrectly bulk edit records.

Is it possible to revert property changes? The short answer is no - at the moment, we aren't able to automatically 'revert' these properties to the values that they were before the edits were made. 

But that said, we can export the historical values of a property, clean up the data to the time before these changes,  then import these values back into your portal to update the object. Here is how you can do so:

Part 1: Exporting the Property History

1. In your HubSpot account, click the settings icon in the main navigation bar.
  2. In the left sidebar menu, navigate to ‘Properties’.
  3. In the 'Search Properties' text-box, type in the name of the property that you are looking to revert. 
  4. When the property appears, hover over the name of the property then click on 'More > Export Property History'.

Export Property HistoryExport Property History

Part 2: Editing the Export File 

1. From the property history file, apply filters to your excel sheet – this sheet can be read from left to right, from the most recent property value to the oldest property value.

Add filter to excelAdd filter to excel

2. Using the column with the most recent values (usually column D), filter to the date where the changes were made. 
    1. As a quick example, if I made an incorrect bulk property change to a set of contacts on 1st April – I would select the checkboxes for ‘April’, and ‘01’.

Filter by date of property changeFilter by date of property change
    2. Once these filters are applied, we will be left with only the contacts that were affected by this change.
    3. We can then retrieve the last most recent set of values, which would be in column E.
  3. Copy these values, as well as the corresponding Object ID (Contact/Company/Deal/Ticket ID) into a new excel file (.csv or .xlsx) and save it. In this example, I’ve also copied the contact’s email addresses to easily identify them.

Columns to be copiedColumns to be copied

This is an example of what the new excel would look like:

Example of a new excel file for importExample of a new excel file for import

Part 3: Import these values back into your portal

1. Once the Excel File has been cleaned up to contain the correct values, you can import these companies back into HubSpot.
  2. From the Imports page, click on the ‘Start an Import’ button to begin your import – you will want to import one file with one object type. You can follow this guide on how to do so.
  3. During the import process, select the 'Update Object using 'Object ID' exported from Hubspot' option to de-duplicate the Object and ensure that the existing Objects are updated and no duplicates are created

Update existing contacts using Contact ID exported from HubSpot checkboxUpdate existing contacts using Contact ID exported from HubSpot checkbox

Things to note:

Do note that you won’t be able to do this if the property values before the update were null. Instead, you can follow this guide up to Part 2. Here are the steps for objects with no value:

1.     Copy only the Object ID and email or other identifiers into the new excel.
  2.     Import as per ‘Part 3’ - from the Imports page, create a list from these imported objects.
  3.     Go into the list and bulk edit your properties to a blank value.
  4.     You may not be able to do this with all properties - for the contact properties that you are not able to find under the bulk edit option, you will want to enroll the list into a workflow and use the ‘Clear Property Value’ action.

Clear property value action in a workflowClear property value action in a workflow

Hope this helps!

6 Antworten
PEvans
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Portuguese version here! 🙂 

kvlschaefer
Community-Manager/-in
Community-Manager/-in

Thanks for sharing, @PEvans!

Obrigada! 🙂 

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !
xanbo
Teilnehmer/-in

This info just saved my life. Thank you!!!

laurentl
Teilnehmer/-in

Thank you for this tip! I've been banging my head against the desk since I found out the intern bulk-edited a property by mistake... Looks like I'll be able to fix it in minutes rather than days thanks to this.

LizO
Stratege/Strategin | Elite Partner
Stratege/Strategin | Elite Partner

@jleow  I just found this guide and want to say THANK YOU! I've been opening each object record and clicking property history for years.  Part 1 is a GAME CHANGER!  maybe you didn;t build the functionality but please thank that team.  

I can see this being supper helpfull exporting the history of deal stage or deal ammount.  I'm constantly asked what deals have moved or why our forcast went drastically up or down.  This export can come up with why and how MUCH faster than my old method.  

lucasfmsarmento
Teilnehmer/-in

Hi LizO,

Came accross this post, and thought I could help.

The need to know what happened with the forecast on a certain period is definitely legimate and Hubspot does provide reports on that.

You can see a list of Hubspot Created Sales Reports here, under Forecast & Pipelines. More specifically the report that would give you the insights you need is called Deal Pipeline Waterfall

lucasfmsarmento_0-1637354484954.png

Let me know if this helps, or if need any further help reach out!

All the best,

0 Upvotes