Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

Pixelwerx
Contributor

Possibly dumb question about CTA Download (Excel file)

SOLVE

Hi all,

I hope someone can give me some best practices for having an Excel file download as part of a CTA. We have a ROI calculator download, that if the file gets opened with Google Chrome's Excel reading capability, gets messed up. So I was just planning to zip it up, to make the user open the zip and hopefully open the document in Excel. But even that is probably not fool proof, as I suppose they could still try to open it in Chrome if that is there preference.

I just need to ask if there is any other options I'm not thinking about for this kind of download.

Thanks in advance,

Oliver Smith

Digital Marketing Coordinator

WesTech Engineering

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
Mike_Eastwood
Solution
Key Advisor | Gold Partner

SOLVE

Hi Oliver

If you're setting up a CTA, with a link to your download (which I think is the best way to do it) then you can add a "download" attribute into your link to the file.

<a href="path/to/excel-file.xlsx" download>Click here to download Excel</a>

Note the "download" before the ">" this will request the browser saves it as a download.

Did that work for you?

Mike

p.s. Can't help thinking... what if your ROI Calculator was an on-screen widget that saves the data to HubSpot?

p.p.s. No, I don't get out much

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
Mike_Eastwood
Solution

SOLVE

Hi Oliver

If you're setting up a CTA, with a link to your download (which I think is the best way to do it) then you can add a "download" attribute into your link to the file.

<a href="path/to/excel-file.xlsx" download>Click here to download Excel</a>

Note the "download" before the ">" this will request the browser saves it as a download.

Did that work for you?

Mike

p.s. Can't help thinking... what if your ROI Calculator was an on-screen widget that saves the data to HubSpot?

p.p.s. No, I don't get out much

Pixelwerx
Contributor

SOLVE

Thank you for the reply. I had set it up as a CTA, because I wanted the tracking, but it is used in the inline thank you of a form submission, so I guess it doesn't make sense to be a CTA, when I already have the tracking from the form.

I will try redoing it as a regular HTML button and use the 'download' code and see how that works out.

Thank you so much!

Oliver

P.S. If anyone else has any insight, please share. I'm still relatively new to HubSpot, and can use all the advice I can get 🙂

0 Upvotes
Mike_Eastwood

SOLVE

Hi Oliver,

The way we like to set up campaigns for our clients is:

First CTA > Landing Page (with form)

Landing Page > Thank you Page (with CTA linking to Download)

Follow up email (with CTA linking to Download)

That way we can measure the success of the First CTA and the number of Downloads (second CTA).

Remember - progress over perfection - a good campaign that's published will have 100% more conversions than an almost perfect campaign that hasn't been published yet.

Have fun

Mike

Pixelwerx
Contributor

SOLVE

Yes, good point. Thank you for sharing. That flow is similar to what we usually do. We are trying something different with this one, making it more direct.

I really like the idea of using the built in CTA tool, but in this case, I don't know of a way to implement the forced download code in a HubSpot CTA. So it will be HTML in the form inline thank you.

Thanks again for your time,

Oliver

0 Upvotes