Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

InciteJoe
Contributor | Gold Partner

Overlapping workflow best practices

SOLVE

Hi all,

Background

I have around 10 different workflows for when someone requests different guides on my website, the form fill triggers a copy of the guide to be sent via email too.

Change to current process

I am now thinking of adding more steps, so for example after a period of time send a series of follow up emails to the contact to ask how useful they found the content and attempt to schedule in a call with them.

Potential issue

Now say for example Contact A has filled in multiple forms for different guides, what is the best way for me to make sure they don't end up being spammed by multiple follow up emails for each guide?

Thanks

0 Upvotes
2 Accepted solutions
danmoyle
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Elite Partner

SOLVE

@InciteJoe such a great question. I love that you're thinking about the UX in your content. 

Background for me: I used to be the marketer for a mortgage bank, where we created home buying guides galore. Each one had a workflow email sequence attached. For those who would download multiple guides, I always figured they'd want all the information. However, I recognize it can be a lot, even when the emails all offer different content. 

If you have marketing hub enterprise, you can set up an email frequency safeguard. Otherwise, it's a matter of thinking about your workflows in levels. If you have 10, are they split up by buyer's journey stages (awareness, consideration, decision) or funnel (TOFU, MOFU, BOFU) to where you can remove from specific workflows? 

For instance, once they download a MOFU offer, your workflow could remove them from any other TOFU workflows. 

danmoyle_0-1669237313813.png

I hope that helps get the thoughts going for you. 

Did my answer help? Please "mark as a solution" to help others find answers. Plus I really appreciate it!

Dan Moyle

HubSpot Advisor

LearningOps | Impulse Creative

emailAddress
dan@impulsecreative.com
website
https://impulsecreative.com/

View solution in original post

karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @InciteJoe,

I agree with @danmoyle, the email frequency safeguard feature and the option to remove contacts from workflows are great tools for this.

Personally, I would never want to receive two overlapping series of emails. From a marketer's standpoint it also doesn't make a lot of sense: You designed a series of emails specifically to work towards a specific goal, a next conversion, a meeting booked etc. If two or more nurturing workflows overlap, it's unlikely that this goal will be achieved, too much going on.

In my opinion it comes down to whether you want to allow the first conversion to continue its nurturing or the last. The first makes more sense in my opinion. For your workflow design that means that the workflow that delivers the content should never contain the follow up emails. It should only deliver the content and then 'nominate' the contact for a nurturing workflow where they enter if they are not being nurtured already. (This can of course be solved with if/then branches in the original workflow but I'm not a fan of it. Especially with a large number of content pieces this becomes unmanageable at some point.)

Lastly, you want to think about how to deal with scenarios when contacts have already downloaded a piece of content they're about to receive in a nurturing workflow. Here you'll have to work with if/then branches referring to those specific form submissions.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @InciteJoe,

I agree with @danmoyle, the email frequency safeguard feature and the option to remove contacts from workflows are great tools for this.

Personally, I would never want to receive two overlapping series of emails. From a marketer's standpoint it also doesn't make a lot of sense: You designed a series of emails specifically to work towards a specific goal, a next conversion, a meeting booked etc. If two or more nurturing workflows overlap, it's unlikely that this goal will be achieved, too much going on.

In my opinion it comes down to whether you want to allow the first conversion to continue its nurturing or the last. The first makes more sense in my opinion. For your workflow design that means that the workflow that delivers the content should never contain the follow up emails. It should only deliver the content and then 'nominate' the contact for a nurturing workflow where they enter if they are not being nurtured already. (This can of course be solved with if/then branches in the original workflow but I'm not a fan of it. Especially with a large number of content pieces this becomes unmanageable at some point.)

Lastly, you want to think about how to deal with scenarios when contacts have already downloaded a piece of content they're about to receive in a nurturing workflow. Here you'll have to work with if/then branches referring to those specific form submissions.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

InciteJoe

SOLVE

Thanks @karstenkoehler 

danmoyle
Solution

SOLVE

@InciteJoe such a great question. I love that you're thinking about the UX in your content. 

Background for me: I used to be the marketer for a mortgage bank, where we created home buying guides galore. Each one had a workflow email sequence attached. For those who would download multiple guides, I always figured they'd want all the information. However, I recognize it can be a lot, even when the emails all offer different content. 

If you have marketing hub enterprise, you can set up an email frequency safeguard. Otherwise, it's a matter of thinking about your workflows in levels. If you have 10, are they split up by buyer's journey stages (awareness, consideration, decision) or funnel (TOFU, MOFU, BOFU) to where you can remove from specific workflows? 

For instance, once they download a MOFU offer, your workflow could remove them from any other TOFU workflows. 

danmoyle_0-1669237313813.png

I hope that helps get the thoughts going for you. 

Did my answer help? Please "mark as a solution" to help others find answers. Plus I really appreciate it!

Dan Moyle

HubSpot Advisor

LearningOps | Impulse Creative

emailAddress
dan@impulsecreative.com
website
https://impulsecreative.com/
InciteJoe

SOLVE