Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

herodotuseduc
Contributeur

Original Source Data Missing from Zapier

Résolue

I am seeing a lot of missing Original Sources that are attributed to Zapier (Zapier transfers data to Hubspot AFTER the user lands on the website) instead of the actual and true Original Source.  Instead of seeing Direct Traffic, Paid Search, etc, i am seeing INTEGRATION (Zapier). Is this because the cookies are not captured and as a result, Hubspot recognises subsequent Contact creation by Zapier as Original Source?

0 Votes
2 Solutions acceptées
herodotuseduc
Solution
Contributeur

Résolue

Hi! Correct, my website is not hosted on hubspot. it is hosted via a third party that allows me to embed the tracking code in JS. I am capable of capturing leads on my website via the website's own signup process (the website was created via a 3rd party app that proves a signup tool). Hubspot recognises those 3rd party non-hubspot lists apparently because they seem to containt some standard data-entry form tags. One of them is email, so yes, the contact is created on the website via a non-hubspot form. Next comes a zapier zap which runs every 15 minutes and sends that contact to Hubspot. The original source is shown as Offline Sources and the Drill-Down Source 1,2 as Integration and Zapier. This is baffling because it's OBVIOUS that the contact first signed up on the website and the zapier sync always takes place afterwards, so Zapier shouldn't be the Original source. I think, and correct me if i'm wrong, this is created because the setting "Collect data from website forms" was turned off and hence the non-hubspot form was not sending info to hubspot when the contact was first landing on my page. Hence, hubspot only "saw" the user when its details were sent from zapier. I have turned the setting "Collect data from website forms" ON, and it seems that the issue has been resolved because the contact details are sent to Hubspot via the non-hubspot form that is embedded on my website, thus husbpot "sees" the contact before zapier creates the contact in hubspot. as a result, by the time Zapier runs, it would only UPDATE the contact (the zap is create + update) and the Original Source fields would have been created when the contact signs up, not when the zap runs. Is this correct?

Voir la solution dans l'envoi d'origine

0 Votes
franksteiner79
Solution
Conseiller clé

Résolue

Hi @herodotuseduc 

Thanks for the explanation.

You are correct, if "collect data from website forms" is OFF, then those form submissions won't be sent to HubSpot, which means the Zapier integration will create the contact and therefore the source will be Zapier.

As far as I can tell, you won't need the additional Zapier step, as the "collect data from website forms" feature will pass all that information into HubSpot anyway.

Frank

Found my comment helpful? Great! Please mark it as a solution to help other community users.

Frank Steiner

Marketeer | HubSpot Expert | CRM Consultant

InboundPro

Let's Talk About Your Project

Voir la solution dans l'envoi d'origine

4 Réponses
herodotuseduc
Solution
Contributeur

Résolue

Hi! Correct, my website is not hosted on hubspot. it is hosted via a third party that allows me to embed the tracking code in JS. I am capable of capturing leads on my website via the website's own signup process (the website was created via a 3rd party app that proves a signup tool). Hubspot recognises those 3rd party non-hubspot lists apparently because they seem to containt some standard data-entry form tags. One of them is email, so yes, the contact is created on the website via a non-hubspot form. Next comes a zapier zap which runs every 15 minutes and sends that contact to Hubspot. The original source is shown as Offline Sources and the Drill-Down Source 1,2 as Integration and Zapier. This is baffling because it's OBVIOUS that the contact first signed up on the website and the zapier sync always takes place afterwards, so Zapier shouldn't be the Original source. I think, and correct me if i'm wrong, this is created because the setting "Collect data from website forms" was turned off and hence the non-hubspot form was not sending info to hubspot when the contact was first landing on my page. Hence, hubspot only "saw" the user when its details were sent from zapier. I have turned the setting "Collect data from website forms" ON, and it seems that the issue has been resolved because the contact details are sent to Hubspot via the non-hubspot form that is embedded on my website, thus husbpot "sees" the contact before zapier creates the contact in hubspot. as a result, by the time Zapier runs, it would only UPDATE the contact (the zap is create + update) and the Original Source fields would have been created when the contact signs up, not when the zap runs. Is this correct?

0 Votes
franksteiner79
Solution
Conseiller clé

Résolue

Hi @herodotuseduc 

Thanks for the explanation.

You are correct, if "collect data from website forms" is OFF, then those form submissions won't be sent to HubSpot, which means the Zapier integration will create the contact and therefore the source will be Zapier.

As far as I can tell, you won't need the additional Zapier step, as the "collect data from website forms" feature will pass all that information into HubSpot anyway.

Frank

Found my comment helpful? Great! Please mark it as a solution to help other community users.

Frank Steiner

InboundPro

herodotuseduc
Contributeur

Résolue

Hi! Exactly, thanks for the input. The zapier integration helps with updating some custom contact fields as well as fill out some standard hubspot contact fields that would otherwise be left unfilled by relying solely on the non-hubspot forms for input.

0 Votes
franksteiner79
Conseiller clé

Résolue

Hi @herodotuseduc 

Could you elaborate a bit more?

Your website isn't hosted in HubSpot, right? What is it hosted on?

You are capturing leads/contacts on your site, right?

How are those captured - a form that isn't HubSpot?

You are integrating HubSpot with Zapier and what else?

By default, if a contact is created via an integration, this will always be its original source.

Depending on your actual setup and lead flow, you might want to consider one of the following:

Have you considered either of those?

Thanks

Frank

Frank Steiner

InboundPro