Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

KaKaRoT
Contributor

Need Help on PDF Download Tracking

SOLVE

Hello, 

I have a landing page in HubSpot and want to include the thumbnail of pdf in it. I would like to ungate the asset and track downloads of our PDF without filling out the form. Instead of a form on the right side of LP, we have a thumbnail of the asset for all users. 

Also once user downloads the pdf can we automate it similar to a contact filling out a form? If not, I believe we would have to pull a report of the downloads.

I'm new to HubSpot so need easier way and best approach with steps. 

Thanks in advance

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
franksteiner79
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi @KaKaRoT 

Insted of just adding the PDF thumbnail, you will need to create an image CTA in HubSpot.

Here is step by step guide in how to do that:

Once the image CTA has been created, you then add that CTA in your landing page or website.

Once that is done, you can start building a list of contacts who have clicked that CTA.

Once the CTA has been created and added, you can also check the built in HubSpot CTA reporting. Personally, I think a list is a good foundation, as it can be used for list performance reporting, an inclusion or exclusion list in furture workflows, custom reporting in HubSpot and smart content. If you want to find out more about lists and why they are pretty useful, check out the AMA I am hosting in the Community this week.

I hope the above helps.

Frank

Found my comment helpful? Great! Please mark it as a solution to help other community users.

Frank Steiner

Marketeer | HubSpot Expert | CRM Consultant

InboundPro

Let's Talk About Your Project

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
franksteiner79
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi @KaKaRoT 

Insted of just adding the PDF thumbnail, you will need to create an image CTA in HubSpot.

Here is step by step guide in how to do that:

Once the image CTA has been created, you then add that CTA in your landing page or website.

Once that is done, you can start building a list of contacts who have clicked that CTA.

Once the CTA has been created and added, you can also check the built in HubSpot CTA reporting. Personally, I think a list is a good foundation, as it can be used for list performance reporting, an inclusion or exclusion list in furture workflows, custom reporting in HubSpot and smart content. If you want to find out more about lists and why they are pretty useful, check out the AMA I am hosting in the Community this week.

I hope the above helps.

Frank

Found my comment helpful? Great! Please mark it as a solution to help other community users.

Frank Steiner

InboundPro

acsy0802

SOLVE

Hello! Thanks for this tip 

- Just to clarify, having an Image/ Button CTA will only help with reporting on clicks and views, correct? We wouldn't have any visibility into the user unless they have filled out a form? 

0 Upvotes
franksteiner79
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi @KaKaRoT 

You could do this by creating an image CTA that links to the PDF file.

You can the report on CTA clicks. Worth noting that if this is clicked by someone who has previously submitted a form on the same browser, you would be able to tie this click back to an individual contact. For all other clicks it would be "anonymous", CTA reporting looks like this:

image-png-Nov-29-2021-08-29-31-28-AM.png_width=1528&name=image-png-Nov-29-2021-08-29-31-28-AM

You can then also use CTA clicks to build lists and segment.

I hope that helps.

Frank

Frank Steiner

InboundPro

0 Upvotes
KaKaRoT
Contributor

SOLVE

@franksteiner79, thanks for your inputs I added the thumbnail of the pdf on the landing page and linked it to the pdf file which is uploaded in the HubSpot file manager. So I want to know which contacts have clicked the pdf link? 

Should I add UTM at the end of the PDF link, will that work to track the contacts? Or is there any report which can show me the behavior of landing page link clicks?

The CTA option I tried, in my HubSpot module custom modules, is being used so if I try to add CTA below the thumbnail it is not displaying there.

0 Upvotes