Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

Edyta7510
Guide

Multiple short workflows vs a few more complex ones

SOLVE

Hi All, 

I've realized I've got the tendency to create multiple short workflows on my account (vs. more complex ones based on if/then branch). At this point, organizing them in folders still does the job. 

I was wondering though what is the impact of multiple workflows on account performance? Are they slowing it down? What is the best practice: create less but more complex workflows? or the other way round? Both do the job "functionally" of course. 

Thanks!

Edyta

0 Upvotes
2 Accepted solutions
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @Edyta7510,

I don't have information on the backend performance but would expect large number of simple workflows to consume more processing power than fewer more complex ones – mostly because (like active lists) each workflow has to constantly check all records and whether they match the enrollment triggers.

That being said, in many years working with workflows, I haven't noticed a considerable difference in portals who mostly pursue one or the other "style" of creating workflows.

Personally, I'm also a fan of a modular approach that leans towards simpler workflows (and hence more of them), since they're easier to maintain, troubleshoot and less prone to error. I will not go out of my way to break workflows into smaller bits however, for example if it could be done with straight-forward branching logic. If you have specific examples, we can happily discuss them.

With a solid naming convention, having a lot of assets should not be a problem. Workflows will start to pile up either way at some point.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @BBaumgardner, I answered a similar question two days ago here 🙂

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
Edyta7510
Guide

SOLVE

Thanks @karstenkoehler This is a very helpful answer, I'll continue applying common sense to my workflows then 🙂 

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @Edyta7510,

I don't have information on the backend performance but would expect large number of simple workflows to consume more processing power than fewer more complex ones – mostly because (like active lists) each workflow has to constantly check all records and whether they match the enrollment triggers.

That being said, in many years working with workflows, I haven't noticed a considerable difference in portals who mostly pursue one or the other "style" of creating workflows.

Personally, I'm also a fan of a modular approach that leans towards simpler workflows (and hence more of them), since they're easier to maintain, troubleshoot and less prone to error. I will not go out of my way to break workflows into smaller bits however, for example if it could be done with straight-forward branching logic. If you have specific examples, we can happily discuss them.

With a solid naming convention, having a lot of assets should not be a problem. Workflows will start to pile up either way at some point.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler

BBaumgardner
Participant

SOLVE

Hi @karstenkoehler !

I know this is an old comment, but I'd be curious if you have any speciifc recommendations for Workflow naming conventions. We're getting to the point that these are starting to get pretty complicated and I'd like to go back and clean them up before it gets out of hand.

Thanks!

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @BBaumgardner, I answered a similar question two days ago here 🙂

Karsten Köhler