Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

EGöransson4

Moving content to a different account

SOLVE

Hello, 

I will start moving and rebuilding workflows from one HubSpot account to another. 

Do you have any recommendations on what to start with? I guess I need to rebuild, properties, emails, and everything that is included in the workflows as well before I can build the full workflow. 

Is there an easy way to do this or do I need to do it manually? 

4 Accepted solutions
danmoyle
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Elite Partner

SOLVE

Thanks for the tag @kvlschaefer

This is a big question! @EGöransson4 if I were in your shoes, I'd start with looking at what's needed in the new portal and why I'm moving workflows. In my experience, each portal has different needs and uses, and simply copying everything from one portal to another isn't necessarily my first thought. 

Next, I'd look at what I need to have as a first priority. For example, if there are workflows for contact page forms to alert someone internally and send the contact an email, I might transfer those first. And if I have process workflows that make necesary changes, I'd tackle those next. Then if there are more educational nurturing workflows, look at those last. 

I like what @kvlschaefer linked above as resource, and I'd look through those first. Then I would suggest mapping out your needs. Good luck for sure! 

Did my answer help? Please "mark as a solution" to help others find answers. Plus I really appreciate it!

Dan Moyle

HubSpot Advisor

LearningOps | Impulse Creative

emailAddress
dan@impulsecreative.com
website
https://impulsecreative.com/

View solution in original post

Jnix284
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Thanks for the tag @kvlschaefer , happy to share some best practices!

Hi @EGöransson4 ,

I would definitely start with an audit of your workflows, as you mentioned you will need to identify the custom properties, emails, etc. that are associated with each workflow.

An audit using a spreadsheet tool would allow you to document each process and the dependencies.

Based on a thread in the developer slack, it doesn't sound like there is a way to automate this, but you could always reach out to a developer to see if there is a workaround.

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

Jennifer Nixon - Delivery Lead at Aptitude 8

connect with Jen on Linkedin

christopher-RVO
Solution
Key Advisor | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

@EGöransson4 I reiterate everything that @Jnix284  & @danmoyle said. Audit First!

From the audit, the most important thing to get right is the data architecture in the new account you are migrating everything to. Custom properties, object layouts, workflows, forms, and pipelines can't be built properly without having each of the properties on objects in the portal configured first. 

As @Jnix284  said, a spreadsheet to track what's needed would help massively. 

I would also add a few tips: 

• The most important type of data is the kind that you can take action from.
  • Garbage Data in, Garbage Data out.
  • Look for areas of process improvement within the migration, lateral migrations aren't a way to optimize.

Christopher Barnett - VP of Revenue at Aptitude 8

jolle
Solution
Recognized Expert | Partner

SOLVE

@kvlschaefer thanks for the mention, and very good question, @EGöransson4!

Tons of great insights from @christopher-RVO@danmoyle, and @Jnix284 here. Echoing their recommendations, definitely ensure that the workflows will apply to the second HubSpot account. Depending on how the workflows are set up currently, they could be dependent on information specific to the current HubSpot account, like goals, suppression lists, integrations, custom properties, etc. You're right in thinking that you'll need to address those moving pieces in order to properly rebuild the workflows, but definitely keep an eye out for opportunities to simplify along the way.

Best of luck with the migration!

Jacob Olle

Marketing Operations Manager

HubSpot Certified Trainer

Create Your Own Free Signature

5 Replies 5
jolle
Solution

SOLVE

@kvlschaefer thanks for the mention, and very good question, @EGöransson4!

Tons of great insights from @christopher-RVO@danmoyle, and @Jnix284 here. Echoing their recommendations, definitely ensure that the workflows will apply to the second HubSpot account. Depending on how the workflows are set up currently, they could be dependent on information specific to the current HubSpot account, like goals, suppression lists, integrations, custom properties, etc. You're right in thinking that you'll need to address those moving pieces in order to properly rebuild the workflows, but definitely keep an eye out for opportunities to simplify along the way.

Best of luck with the migration!

Jacob Olle

Marketing Operations Manager

HubSpot Certified Trainer

Create Your Own Free Signature
christopher-RVO
Solution

SOLVE

@EGöransson4 I reiterate everything that @Jnix284  & @danmoyle said. Audit First!

From the audit, the most important thing to get right is the data architecture in the new account you are migrating everything to. Custom properties, object layouts, workflows, forms, and pipelines can't be built properly without having each of the properties on objects in the portal configured first. 

As @Jnix284  said, a spreadsheet to track what's needed would help massively. 

I would also add a few tips: 

• The most important type of data is the kind that you can take action from.
  • Garbage Data in, Garbage Data out.
  • Look for areas of process improvement within the migration, lateral migrations aren't a way to optimize.

Christopher Barnett - VP of Revenue at Aptitude 8

danmoyle
Solution

SOLVE

Thanks for the tag @kvlschaefer

This is a big question! @EGöransson4 if I were in your shoes, I'd start with looking at what's needed in the new portal and why I'm moving workflows. In my experience, each portal has different needs and uses, and simply copying everything from one portal to another isn't necessarily my first thought. 

Next, I'd look at what I need to have as a first priority. For example, if there are workflows for contact page forms to alert someone internally and send the contact an email, I might transfer those first. And if I have process workflows that make necesary changes, I'd tackle those next. Then if there are more educational nurturing workflows, look at those last. 

I like what @kvlschaefer linked above as resource, and I'd look through those first. Then I would suggest mapping out your needs. Good luck for sure! 

Did my answer help? Please "mark as a solution" to help others find answers. Plus I really appreciate it!

Dan Moyle

HubSpot Advisor

LearningOps | Impulse Creative

emailAddress
dan@impulsecreative.com
website
https://impulsecreative.com/
kvlschaefer
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @EGöransson4,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community! 

I would like to share three related threads that contain more information about migrating data. Our Community experts @karstenkoehler@christopher-RVO@Phil_Vallender@johnelmer offer some great advice in these threads 🙂 

1. Moving data from one Hubspot account to another 
  2. Migrate Hubspot Data from one account to another
  3. Migrating one Hubspot account into another (Marketing and Sales hubs)

I also wanted to tag our subject matter experts to see if they have advice. 

Hi @danmoyle@Jnix284@jolle - Do you have any tips on moving content and replicating tools in another HubSpot account for @EGöransson4? What would you recommend doing first? 🙂 

Thank you!

Best,

Kristen

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !
Jnix284
Solution

SOLVE

Thanks for the tag @kvlschaefer , happy to share some best practices!

Hi @EGöransson4 ,

I would definitely start with an audit of your workflows, as you mentioned you will need to identify the custom properties, emails, etc. that are associated with each workflow.

An audit using a spreadsheet tool would allow you to document each process and the dependencies.

Based on a thread in the developer slack, it doesn't sound like there is a way to automate this, but you could always reach out to a developer to see if there is a workaround.

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

Jennifer Nixon - Delivery Lead at Aptitude 8

connect with Jen on Linkedin