Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

rytrom
Participant

Managing a scaling up multi-year opportunity

SOLVE

Team, what is your suggestion to manage the following case.

There is a product that we're collaborating with a customer from its inception to a full scale up and such a project spans over 3-4 years. We start with a feasibility study (makign merely 100g of it), then increasing the delivery size and keep it around 1kg for a year for a few orders, then work on a ramp-up phase (5-10kg for each order for 6-12 months) and eventually fully scale up with a large multi-year contract. 

How to manage the progress? Each placed PO is a closed/won deal, right? But how to see the overall picture? All those deals are related and should not appear as a one-off transaction but an evolution to something bigger to materialize down the road. What is the right way to set it up? One way I was thinking to develop a special pipeline and project all the coming deals way to the future with periodic updates. 

Is it the right way to do it?

1 Accepted solution
jolle
Solution
Recognized Expert | Partner

SOLVE

Hey @rytrom, thanks for sharing!

And thanks for the mention, @kvlschaefer!

This is a really cool use case! 

I feel like setting up a dedicated pipeline used only for this client with a new deal for each PO  like you said makes sense! That should allow you to track the count and amount of deals over time (and each deal can also be associated with the respective contact and company records for further reporting). With all the deal data living in that single pipeline, you should be able to report on total closed/won revenue as well as forecasted revenue (just make sure that you have a separate stage for future POs that aren't in motion yet).

You will have the PO revenue broken out into individual deals, but those can be aggregated at the pipeline/associated contact/associated company levels to give you a sense for the big picture revenue opportunity. 

If you just need to see aggregated revenue, this should be the way to go. If there are additional KPIs you need to track, that could require a different setup. Feel free to share any additional details about the types of reports you'd want to make.

Hope this helps!!

Jacob Olle

Marketing Operations Manager

HubSpot Certified Trainer

Create Your Own Free Signature

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
AKumarSci
Participant

SOLVE

@rytrom - Probably with the recent developments on how HubSpot calculates the order total, it will help to clearly mention and recognize multi-year deals in a better way.

AKumarSci_0-1691563036596.png

rytrom
Participant

SOLVE

folks, thanks for chiming in! Each offered approach has its pros and cons and we should go ahead and test it. Apprecoate your input!

danmoyle
Most Valuable Member | Elite Partner
Most Valuable Member | Elite Partner

SOLVE

I'm with @jolle here, @rytrom. A pipeline for each round makes sense to me, since the stages likely differ. Plus you'd be able to build custom reports on deals across pipelines tied to one company. 

Did my answer help? Please "mark as a solution" to help others find answers. Plus I really appreciate it!

Dan Moyle

HubSpot Advisor

LearningOps | Impulse Creative

emailAddress
dan@impulsecreative.com
website
https://impulsecreative.com/
jolle
Solution

SOLVE

Hey @rytrom, thanks for sharing!

And thanks for the mention, @kvlschaefer!

This is a really cool use case! 

I feel like setting up a dedicated pipeline used only for this client with a new deal for each PO  like you said makes sense! That should allow you to track the count and amount of deals over time (and each deal can also be associated with the respective contact and company records for further reporting). With all the deal data living in that single pipeline, you should be able to report on total closed/won revenue as well as forecasted revenue (just make sure that you have a separate stage for future POs that aren't in motion yet).

You will have the PO revenue broken out into individual deals, but those can be aggregated at the pipeline/associated contact/associated company levels to give you a sense for the big picture revenue opportunity. 

If you just need to see aggregated revenue, this should be the way to go. If there are additional KPIs you need to track, that could require a different setup. Feel free to share any additional details about the types of reports you'd want to make.

Hope this helps!!

Jacob Olle

Marketing Operations Manager

HubSpot Certified Trainer

Create Your Own Free Signature
kvlschaefer
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @rytrom,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community!

These are great questions 🙂 

Let's invite our community experts to see if they have insight.

Hi @danmoyle@jolle@BukunmiOdetayo - What would you recommend for @rytrom's use case?

Thank you!

Best,

Kristen

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !