Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

Hannass
Participant

Looking for best practices - How to manage my properties?

SOLVE

Hello there 🙂

I'm currently working with a company that would like to clean its CRM. Until now, each time they needed to add a question in a form, they created a new property.

Lots of things to optimize:
-> naming the properties in the right way (a lot of them are named by the question that would appear in the form)
-> avoiding duplicates
-> optimizing some properties, for e.g. avoiding text and prefering dropdowns...

Have you got some best practices you use when managing properties in Hubspot?

Thanks a lot!

Hanna

1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @Hannass,

Great question! As a first step, I'd recommend to export all properties. It's much easier to obtain an overview in an Excel or Google sheet than it is in HubSpot: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/crm-setup/manage-your-properties#export-properties

This will make it easier to spot duplicates. Then the real work will begin.

For duplicates, you need to decide on the property you want to keep and copy information from the duplicate property into the new main property. (This can be achieved with workflows: Enroll contacts when value in [duplicate property] is known. Then select "Copy property value" from the actions and copy value from [duplicate property] into [new main property]. Keep in mind that you might overwrite the value in the target property.)

In terms of a naming convention, I wouldn't overcomplicate this. Over the years, I've found that a clear property description can be very useful in determining whether a property is just a property needed for reporting, (not) meant to be used in forms etc. I'd also make use of property "Groups" (which you can set up in a second tab in the Property settings).

For the future, you might want to limit "Edit property settings" for users, to avoid more chaos: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/settings/hubspot-user-permissions-guide#crm-tools

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @Hannass,

Great question! As a first step, I'd recommend to export all properties. It's much easier to obtain an overview in an Excel or Google sheet than it is in HubSpot: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/crm-setup/manage-your-properties#export-properties

This will make it easier to spot duplicates. Then the real work will begin.

For duplicates, you need to decide on the property you want to keep and copy information from the duplicate property into the new main property. (This can be achieved with workflows: Enroll contacts when value in [duplicate property] is known. Then select "Copy property value" from the actions and copy value from [duplicate property] into [new main property]. Keep in mind that you might overwrite the value in the target property.)

In terms of a naming convention, I wouldn't overcomplicate this. Over the years, I've found that a clear property description can be very useful in determining whether a property is just a property needed for reporting, (not) meant to be used in forms etc. I'd also make use of property "Groups" (which you can set up in a second tab in the Property settings).

For the future, you might want to limit "Edit property settings" for users, to avoid more chaos: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/settings/hubspot-user-permissions-guide#crm-tools

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.