Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

Jlevy82
Participant

Link to a downloadable PDF vs an offsite webpage?

SOLVE

I have a colleague that has requested we send out an "e-blast" (hate that term) to current customers and prospects to announce the published article (advitorial) on one of our Communities (Home Building Industry). She's asked that we link to a PDF of the actual printed ad from this publication (not our branding) and at the same time having a completely disconnected CTA asking folks to schedule an appointment.

My question is: I've tried to guide her to using some of the content from the Advitorial in the email with a text link to "Read More" - while also writing a transition in the email to promote the community itself with the "Schedule an Appointment" CTA.

Am I wrong in my thinking? Is linking to the PDF a better route to take verse linking to the article on a different website (not ours)? I don't know how to convey to her that I don't think her approach is the best tactic.

Any advise is greatly appreciated!!

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
danmoyle
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Elite Partner

SOLVE

@Jlevy82 it's not always easy trying to balance what sales wants and what marketing feels is best, even with research and data backing it up. Sounds like you're doing a nice job of asking the question "why." 

If I were in your shoes, here's what I'd suggest: The best user experience is to create an email celebrating our content with a teaser, linking to the advertorial as best we can. If this content is available digitally, it's best to link to that. If not, we can scan the printed PDF and upload it as a file, linking to that for download. Either way, a link in the email is better than a PDF attachment. On our HubSpot side, we'll be able to see the clicks to measure the popularity of it. Then we can include a call to action to entice folks who want to set up a meeting, linking to your meetings link. 

I hope that helps! 

Did my answer help? Please "mark as a solution" to help others find answers. Plus I really appreciate it!

Dan Moyle

HubSpot Advisor

LearningOps | Impulse Creative

emailAddress
dan@impulsecreative.com
website
https://impulsecreative.com/

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
danmoyle
Solution

SOLVE

@Jlevy82 it's not always easy trying to balance what sales wants and what marketing feels is best, even with research and data backing it up. Sounds like you're doing a nice job of asking the question "why." 

If I were in your shoes, here's what I'd suggest: The best user experience is to create an email celebrating our content with a teaser, linking to the advertorial as best we can. If this content is available digitally, it's best to link to that. If not, we can scan the printed PDF and upload it as a file, linking to that for download. Either way, a link in the email is better than a PDF attachment. On our HubSpot side, we'll be able to see the clicks to measure the popularity of it. Then we can include a call to action to entice folks who want to set up a meeting, linking to your meetings link. 

I hope that helps! 

Did my answer help? Please "mark as a solution" to help others find answers. Plus I really appreciate it!

Dan Moyle

HubSpot Advisor

LearningOps | Impulse Creative

emailAddress
dan@impulsecreative.com
website
https://impulsecreative.com/
Jlevy82
Participant

SOLVE

Thank you, Dan.  This was very helpful. I kind of knew what the solution is/was, but felt more comfortable hearing/reading feedback that validated my thoughts. From what I read, you're proposing the same solution that I felt was best to begin with.
I appreciate your feedback,

Jason

0 Upvotes
kvlschaefer
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @Jlevy82,

Thanks for reaching out! 

I'd like to add some subject matter experts to our conversation.

Hi @danmoyle@Phil_Vallender@Josh@Ben_M - What would you advise for @Jlevy82?

Thanks!

Best,

Kristen

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !