Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

JCooper8
Participant

Is it possible to split deal amount value across multiple months?

SOLVE

Hi all, 

I'm trying to produce a report which shows our revenue by month however some of our deals have values which should really be split across multiple months. 

Does anyone have a work around in order to show deal revenue across multiple months not just the closed date. 

Thanks for any help!

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
HubDoPete
Solution
Guide | Gold Partner
Guide | Gold Partner

SOLVE

It is difficult to record month-by-month revenue actuals in HubSpot.

There isn't an object suited to it in the Pro hubs other than deals.

If you have an Enterprise Hub, you could add a custom object to represent revenue actuals each month, and then report on those custom objects.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
kvlschaefer
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @JCooper8,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community! 

I wanted to refer you to this related discussion from the RevOps Discussion Board where @HubDoPete@johnelmer, and @MiaSrebrnjak offer some advice on how to track variable MRR within HubSpot and with integrations. 

@JCooper8 - Would you mind telling us more about your business and use case for the Community to offer advice? Thank you! 🙂 

Best,

Kristen

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !
JCooper8
Participant

SOLVE

Hi Kristen, 

We are an advertising technology company that generated revenue based on our tech being used in a specific campaign. This means for us a deal may contain multiple months of revenue split unequally based on the amount of time a campaign is live. 

What we want to show is a report that can show this split in monthly deal attributed revenue without having to create a number of different deals. 

HubDoPete
Solution
Guide | Gold Partner
Guide | Gold Partner

SOLVE

It is difficult to record month-by-month revenue actuals in HubSpot.

There isn't an object suited to it in the Pro hubs other than deals.

If you have an Enterprise Hub, you could add a custom object to represent revenue actuals each month, and then report on those custom objects.

HubDoPete
Guide | Gold Partner
Guide | Gold Partner

SOLVE

Great question.

I am assuming you don't want to use the HubSpot automatic deal value calculation, set in your Deal Settings: MRR, ARR, ACV, TCV.

So you have a deal value which applies over 1 or more months and you want to show a per-month revenue number over the contract term.

I'd consider adding a couple of custom properties to your deals:

• Deal Months: how many months the value covers e.g. 3 months
  • Calculated property: Deal Value Monthly: Actual Deal Value / Deal Months

Then report on that calculated property, as it always represents a value per month.

Would that suit?

best, Pete.

JCooper8
Participant

SOLVE

Hi Pete, 

This is a great suggestion however sometimes the actual split in revenue isn't straightforward across months. For example, one month might be worth £2500 then the next would be £1250. 

The only way I've thought about for us doing this is by creating a new deal for each month we are invoiced and having a different closed date for each of them to reflect this on the report. The issue there is the sales team don't seem keen on adding the same deal multiple times into the pipeline. My workaround would be to create a separate pipeline that just reflects monthly revenue and is somehow (might not be possible) automated to match deal stages in another pipeline, but that's a whole new can of worms I'm not prepared to open just yet. 

Thank you. 

best, Joe 

0 Upvotes