Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

katherine_bee

Implement unsubscribe survey when someone unsubscribes

Hi all,

Trying to implement a short survey to find out why someone unsubscribes for marketing emails.

Looked at this article about customizing the Hubspot unsubscribe page to do that but didn't see any advice.

We currently use SurveyMonkey for surveys. Any ideas welcome!

3 Replies 3
jolle
Recognized Expert | Partner
Recognized Expert | Partner

Hey @katherine_bee, very good idea! You are not alone in wanting this feature — see this thread from earlier in the year with a similar ask. They're looking for a simple dropdown select feature vs a survey (which might be more palatable for someone who's opting out of communication from you).

I'm not able to see the Ideas thread linked in the response, but I recommend heading to the Ideas page to either support an existing unsubcsribe reason thread or create one of your own. 

@kvlschaefer  — let me know if there's anything else you'd recommend here!

Jacob Olle

Marketing Operations Manager

HubSpot Certified Trainer

Create Your Own Free Signature
kvlschaefer
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @jolle,

Thanks for tagging me in! I can confirm that this feature is currently not available within HubSpot. 

However, @katherine_bee, I wanted to refer you this related thread where you may be able to find a workaround:

I also wanted to add our subject matter experts to see if they are aware of a workaround.

Hi @danmoyle@Jnix284@Mike_Eastwood - Do you know of a workaround (integration or custom code) to send an unsubscribe survey? 

Thank you!

Best,

Kristen

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !
Jnix284
Most Valuable Member | Elite Partner
Most Valuable Member | Elite Partner

@katherine_bee I would just add that if I unsubscribed from marketing emails, I would not be interested in taking a survey...

I think the HubSpot unsubscribe is very basic compared to some others out there, many ask by default (didn't sign up, too many emails, etc.)

With that said, are you reviewing contact records for your unsubscribes?

Unless you are receiving unsubscribes by the thousands (in which case you have bigger issues), you should be digging into the contact record to see what the issue might have been. Yes, it is nice to ask, but what can you discern about their behavior? did they choose a competitor? decide to hold for a year? etc.

maybe their actions/choices on the sales side should drive a change in the email frequency? how could you prevent unsubscribes by those in similar situations?

After every email send, I always review unsubscribes and bounces manually - maybe habit, maybe because I've never had more than a couple, but I always wanted to know who they were and why I thought they might unsubscribe so I can continue to optimize.

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

Jennifer Nixon - Delivery Lead at Aptitude 8

connect with Jen on Linkedin