Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

JessicaH
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

HubSpot "Aha-Moments"

Hello everyone,

My name is Jess and I'm a Community Manager here at HubSpot.

Every now and then it happens to me that I learn something about HubSpot and it feels like a moment of sudden insight, literally an aha-moment.

aha moment.gif

Often these things are related to HubSpot tools, the HubSpot ecosystem or integrations. In this thread, I would like to share some of these aha-moments and also encourage everyone to do the same if you have experienced the same feeling of discovery. 

A few things to keep in mind:

1.  Use the format: Did you know that...
  2. Only use aha-moments related to HubSpot or HubSpot integrations
  3. No aha-moment is stupid. If the learning awarded you with a feeling of insight other users might feel the same. So feel free to share!
  4. Keep the community guidelines in mind (https://community.hubspot.com/t5/Guidelines-Announcements/HubSpot-Community-Guidelines/td-p/4)

That's it!
I'll start 😉

Wusstest du, dass es auch eine DACH-Community gibt?
Nimm an regionalen Unterhaltungen teil, in dem du deine Spracheinstellungen änderst !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

40 Replies 40
JessicaH
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

HubSpot "Aha-Moments"

Hi @Bryantworks @Nynke_HM @ojobson @AM8 @MatthewShepherd @Joe-Kelp @GuyTaylor @JanetArmstrong @DAnaGuiloff @louischausse, I just wanted to inform you about this thread. I'm sure you have some interesting moments to add?

Take care!

Jess 

Nimm an regionalen Unterhaltungen teil, in dem du deine Spracheinstellungen änderst !

DAnaGuiloff
Top Contributor | Partner
Top Contributor | Partner

HubSpot "Aha-Moments"

Did you know you can connect branches of a workflow together by using "go to other action" and pointing directly to it? It has been a life-saver and reduced the complexity of building out duplicate workflows for minor branches in logic. You can learn more about it here.

Did you know you can rename your branches in a workflow instead of just using "Yes" & "No"? It is a great way to give quick context as to which path a contact will take in your workflow so you can make sure you have taken all paths into account properly. You can learn more about branching here.

Did you know you can test a workflow to make sure it is working as intended? You can select the contact to test for AND have the system send you the emails that the workflow would deliver so you can double check it all quickly. You can learn more about testing workflows here.

As an operations-minded person I can absolutely say, workflows in HubSpot have grown tremendously over the past few years and just get better and better. The HS automation system is the best out there, by far, and absolutely worth the upgrade to Marketing Professional for ANYONE that wants to make their efforts more efficient and streamlined.

KyleJepson
Inbound Professor
Inbound Professor

HubSpot "Aha-Moments"

Fun facts about Sales Hub:

• Did you know that the fields prospects fill in when booking time through a meeting link is a HubSpot Form? That means you can use it to trigger workflows, filter contacts, create lists, etc.
  • Did you know that when you add an email task to a sequence, you can attach a template to it? When you do, the email template populates the subject line and body of the email when you open the task. That way, you can personalize the emails in your sequence when you send it, rather than having to personalize all the emails in the entire sequence when you enroll a contact in it.
  • Did you know you can add "placeholder tokens" to email templates? These are places where the person sending the email will be required to manually add some information (for example, a call recap). When you enroll a group of contacts into a sequence, you won't be able to finish the enrollment process until all placeholder tokens are resolved.
callie
Contributor

HubSpot "Aha-Moments"

Thank you for the #placeholder tip! Exactly something I was after today 🙂

walterw
Contributor

HubSpot "Aha-Moments"

I know one!!! ☝️

Blog post titles cannot be more than 200 characters in length, and blog post URLs can't be longer than 175 characters.

karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

HubSpot "Aha-Moments"

Did you that you can create custom owner properties in HubSpot in addition to the default "Contact Owner"? Sales owner, services owner, etc.

I didn't know about this until recently.

It's especially useful if owner properties are needed both for user permissions (e.g. which user can view/edit/communicate with contacts in the tool) and for personalized emails from different teams (e.g. automatically populating from name and from email in an email).

I've used this to

a) limit permissions and contact access for regional marketing teams in international companies (using the system default contact owner) and

b) creating a sales owner property for from-rep-email-sends

The steps are explained here: https://www.hubspot.com/product-updates/assign-objects-to-multiple-owners-using-custom-owner-propert...

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

JessicaH
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

HubSpot "Aha-Moments"

Did you know that you can’t add the “internal contact record” personalisation token unless the email has specifically been saved for automation? Otherwise, it just won’t appear as an option.

GeorgeBThomas
Guide | Elite Partner
Guide | Elite Partner

HubSpot "Aha-Moments"

@JessicaH  "Did you know that you can’t add the “internal contact record” personalisation token unless the email has specifically been saved for automation? Otherwise, it just won’t appear as an option."

I ran up against this one a while back and it was for sure a, "what the heck" moment! A great one to share here!

George B. Thomas

HubSpot Helper & Owner

George B. Thomas, LLC

(252) 656-5950 | (330) 232-6117
george@georgebthomas.com
www.georgebthomas.com
Josh
Recognized Expert | Platinum Partner
Recognized Expert | Platinum Partner

HubSpot "Aha-Moments"

Did you know that you can use active lists and list membership as a way to get around enrollment limitations for workflows or to improve lead scoring criteria?

Did this post help solve your problem? If so, please mark it as a solution.

Josh Curcio

HubSpot support and inbound marketing for OEMs, contract manufacturers, and industrial suppliers.
HubSpot Platinum Partner & HubSpot Certified Trainer

AdamLPW
Key Advisor

HubSpot "Aha-Moments"

Did you know that when you're composing an email from within HubSpot in your browser you can now (this changed in maybe June) select any text and insert a meeting link without changing the text?

For example, if your meeting link normally displays as "book some time in my diary" but, in the context of this email, you'd rather say "find some time for a chat", just select that text, insert the meting link, hey presto.

I was so blown away by this I had to reach out to Support and thank them - I'd been inserting links then changing them for AGES!!! Smiley Very Happy

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
"The rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience. I will dispense this experience... now!"
sharonlicari
Community Manager
Community Manager

HubSpot "Aha-Moments"

Hey @Josh @Mike_Eastwood @AdamLPW @StefaniUAT @dianalcont @mike-ward @rikkilear @Daniel_Bleich @willsmith @karstenkoehler I want to bring to your attention this section! I think you have so much to add and learn 🙂

have fun

Sharon

PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

HubSpot "Aha-Moments"

Hi @JessicaH ,

What a great idea starting this thread 🙂

I will be sharing mine...

Do you know If you have multiple Google Calendars, but want to restrict one from connecting to HubSpot, you can do so in the Google Calendar settings?

• Click on the 3 grey vertical dots next to the calendar name
  • Settings and Sharing
  • In the Access Permissions section, unselect the box next to "Make available to sync with HubSpot".

Você sabia que a Comunidade está disponível em outros idiomas?
Participe de conversas regionais, alterando suas configurações de idioma !

Carolyn_M
Contributor

HubSpot "Aha-Moments"

Did you know that you that if an email was sent to multiple lists, you can analyze the performance by those individual lists or as one email send..

CraigA
Participant

HubSpot "Aha-Moments"

Brilliant!  I didn't know I could do that!  I was sending separate emails to keep data analysis separate.  This will save me loads of time.  Was easy to find.  I like that HS is so intuitive, lot's yet to discover for ahaa moments like this!

Premier_Will
Participant

HubSpot "Aha-Moments"

-

0 Upvotes
JessicaH
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

HubSpot "Aha-Moments"

Did you know that if you centre a  workflow around a date property but then change that date property to a different date, the actions would execute based off of the old date. If you want to base it off the new date, you'd need to have the contact unenroll from the workflow and reenroll based on the updated property.

jennysowyrda
Community Manager
Community Manager

HubSpot "Aha-Moments"

Did you know that a contact's engagements will auto-associate with their deal (and populate on the deal's timeline) if the deal is in an open stage (i.e. is not any of Won or Lost).

AmandaP
Participant

HubSpot "Aha-Moments"

Did you know that if you edit a contact's Original Source, it erases the drill down 1 and 2 properties..

JessicaH
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

HubSpot "Aha-Moments"

Did you know that "Time in Deal Stage"  will reset to 0 if a deal re-enters a deal stage after having left it.

JessicaH
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

HubSpot "Aha-Moments"

Did you know that importing contacts as part of an opt-out list does not actually create contacts - it merely updates the email address’ subscription status for your portal on the backend. Thus, it doesn't count towards the portal's contact limit

• If a contact already exists in HubSpot, is added to the opt-out list, then removed from the CRM, their record will remain in the opt-out list and continue to not count per the limit
  • But if a physical contact record exists in your portal, unsubscribed or not, they will count towards your total contact limit