Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

dennisedson
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

HubSpot Community Developer Show: When a Marketer Meets a Developer

Oh, hi over here 👋

I don't frequent this area very often.  I typically stick to the Developer boards, but adventured out of my comfort zone today because we are going to be recording a podcast and I need your help 🙏

Imagine this, you have a brilliant idea for some content, you fire up the computer and go to your portal, get to the page that you want to edit and...you can't.  It is hard coded.

Furiously, you shake your fist in the air yelling "DEVELOPERSSSS!!!!!!"

It's ok, you can be honest.  This is a safe space 😉

Now, on the other end is the developer.  They just delivered a site that is off the charts speed wise.  I mean, they are pretty proud. 

A week later, they want to check out what you have done with the site.  They load the homepage and there is an image large enough to be displayed on a jumbotron screen in Times Square. 

Furiously, they shake their fists in the air yelling "MARKETERRRSSSS!!!!!!"

For the folks who need a visualization, I think this clip sums it up.

In a bit over a week, I am going to attempt to do the impossible:  Talk with a Marketer AND a Developer AT THE SAME TIME!  Fear not!  It will be virtual.  I will not be (physically) harmed in the process.

I am going to be joined by @Phil_Vallender (the marketer), @tjoyce (the developer) as well as a couple HubSpotters, @agirard and @AJLaPorte .  We are going to talk all about how to have create a successful relationship between marketers and developers.  We will be discussing any questions that you add to this thread so ask away!

A little background on these characters

Phil is the Sales and Marketing Director at Blend.  There is a darn good chance that he has helped you solve a problem here

Tim is the Co-Founder of EchoPunch.  If you are developer, there is a darn good chance that he has helped you 😉

Alex is a product marketer at HubSpot focused on all things CMS Hub.  He also writes for The Sound of Boston so we know he has street cred 😎

AJ: Is a Senior CMS Developer Advocate.  If you are a developer, odds are you know this guy.

This is a smart crew and we are eager to discuss all of  your questions so don't be shy!  Ask anything and we will try to cover it!

8 Replies 8
dennisedson
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

FYI, The episode is up!  You can find it here

EMALIJAN

Hello, where can I wqtch this? Its sounds exciting

dennisedson
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

Hey @EMALIJAN 

Glad you are excited!  We will be releasing this episode on the 14th of June.  It will be added here.

And you should be able to subscribe to the audio version with your podcaster of choice 😀

pankajrajput

I have a question that. I build my website few days back using hubspot for a hackathon called hubspot cms + crm contest hosted on devpost. Now i'm unable to access my website Don't know why now it's not working please check the issue

0 Upvotes

Could someone help me I passed the inbound marketing exam? Yet, I don't have the link to upload my certificate in upwork. I already followed some instructions, yet there is no link available for me to upload my cert. Thank you
0 Upvotes
DevynBellamySr
Participant

I am a marketer and a developer.  I try to leave my code clean enough for the marketer to go in and change what they need to without breaking the whole site.  Also, COMMENT COMMENT COMMENT!  If they know where things are in the code, they don't have to rely on their MySpace era CSS skills to reverse engineer my work.  When it comes to images, I always give clear dimensions on any images that are on the site and instruct them to make sure the images they are using match the dimensions exactly.  The background images are always massive files that may be constrained by style, but make the site take forever to load.  Don't get me started on team photos.

Lastly, I try to code to the marketer by keeping the CMS in mind.  If I can get away with making a single page that has every type of visual element filled with Lorem Ipsum on it, I do.  I even go as far as making that a part of the design process.  That way, if they are using one of the popular WYSIWYG editors, they can copy and paste the sections from that page.  If they have enough code experience to use classes, I build out a number of classes that have predetermined widths and layouts.  It is a pain to do in the beginning, but it saves SO much time down the road trying to fix what was broken.

Phil_Vallender
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

Ha! I'm really looking forward to this @dennisedson , @tjoyce , @agirard @AJLaPorte - I have a few questions for the developer myself! 😄

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency
natsumimori
Community Manager
Community Manager

Wow this is exciting!!!😆