Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

mr-m4ngo
Participant

How to re-trigger workflow when the opt-in is pending??

Résolue

Hi guys,

I have a problem for which I have so far only a very cumbersome solution. Maybe you can help me with a better solution:

The Set-Up: The "download" of our gated content pieces happens on our site by filling out a form. Afterwards the lead gets an automated marketing mail with the link to the content piece (a direct forwarding to the PDF after submitting the form is not desired, because we want to verify the email address).

The problem: Due to the GDPR, new leads need a double opt-in so that they can receive marketing emails from us. If the lead has not confirmed the opt-in when going through the workflow, the email will not go out.

My workaround so far:
1a. I've added a 2 minute delay that gives attentive leads enough time to quickly confirm their email.

1b. Leads that have not confirmed the opt-in in this time are pushed to a static list ("opt-in pending") via If/Else query. In addition, I create a workflow that has the trigger "List membership: opt-in pending"; "Marketing email confirmation status is any of Confirmed, User clicked confirmation, HubSpot Rep. marked confirmed, Confirmed due to form, Confirmed from previous behavior, or Customer marked confirmed". That is, it is triggered when someone who previously did not have a Positive Opt-In status (List) changes to a Positive Opt-In status (Property). After that, the workflow queries whether the target of the delivery workflow has been reached (target is e-mail has been delivered). If this is not the case -> Enroll to workflow again.

The stupid thing with solution 1b is that I have to create this DOI check workflow for each delivery workflow again, which gets very messy quite fast if you have multiple content pieces.

Do any of you have a better idea? My wish would be to simply have Leads wait in the workflow until a certain Property (Opt-In Status in this case) changes, but that's probably difficult for technical reasons, right? (then the WF would have to continuously query if the property has changed).

Happy about your input. Many thanks in advance!

2 Solutions acceptées
danmoyle
Solution
Membre irremplaçable | Partenaire solutions Elite

Résolue

@mr-m4ngo if I were in your shoes, I might think about the branch, "delay until event happens." 

...delays enrolled records until they complete an event, such as a form submission or website page visit. Use this delay when you want to pause enrolled records until a specific action is taken. You can also base this delay on internal events, such as task completions.

This shold help you avoid the list if you wanted to. I'm also in agreement with @Jnix284 that the list may still be helpful if you have other needs based on their decision to opt-in or not. 

Did my answer help? Please "mark as a solution" to help others find answers. Plus I really appreciate it!

Dan Moyle

HubSpot Advisor

LearningOps | Impulse Creative

emailAddress
dan@impulsecreative.com
website
https://impulsecreative.com/

Voir la solution dans l'envoi d'origine

franksteiner79
Solution
Conseiller clé

Résolue

Hi @mr-m4ngo 

Both @danmoyle and @Jnix284 have made great recommendations already.

My 2 cents are. Definitely keep an active list of those whose DOI status is confirmed, a) for reporting purposes and b) as it's useful to have as inclusion and exclusion list.

Using an active list would allow to set up workflows that combine your form submission criteria and membership of the DOI confirmed list as AND enrolment triggers. Even if I submitted a form, I won't get added to the workflow until I have confirmed my DOI.

In addition you can use membership of that list create smart content on your thank you page (TYP), as described in my upcoming HubSpot Lists AMA. If a contact has DOI confirmed they can download the asset straigt away, if not they get a prompt on the TYP to check their emails and confirm DOI in order to get the content.

I hope that helps.

Frank

Found my comment helpful? Great! Please mark it as a solution to help other community users.

Frank Steiner

Marketeer | HubSpot Expert | CRM Consultant

InboundPro

Let's Talk About Your Project

Voir la solution dans l'envoi d'origine

6 Réponses
mr-m4ngo
Participant

Résolue

@franksteiner79, @danmoyle , @Jnix284 Thank you so much. You guys are awesome! Although it feels a bit embarrassing to have missed such obvious solutions (how the **bleep** could I miss the delay until event option? :D), you have helped me and our processes a lot.
I will probably implement both solutions, because for our Nurturing routes it is important to know which Content Piece was downloaded first (--> Delay until Event) but for some other WFs the solution with the active list is the cleanest way. Thanks again to all of you!

danmoyle

Résolue

You're welcome @mr-m4ngo! Don't feel bad - we all miss stuff as we go, since HubSpot can have so many options to consider. You're in good company! 😊

Did my answer help? Please "mark as a solution" to help others find answers. Plus I really appreciate it!

Dan Moyle

HubSpot Advisor

emailAddress
dan@impulsecreative.com
website
Jnix284
Membre irremplaçable | Partenaire solutions Diamond

Résolue

Agreed @danmoyle , we're all here learning @mr-m4ngo ! Please don't hesitate to come back with more questions, it's what we're here for!

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

Jennifer Nixon - Delivery Lead at Aptitude 8

connect with Jen on Linkedin

franksteiner79
Solution
Conseiller clé

Résolue

Hi @mr-m4ngo 

Both @danmoyle and @Jnix284 have made great recommendations already.

My 2 cents are. Definitely keep an active list of those whose DOI status is confirmed, a) for reporting purposes and b) as it's useful to have as inclusion and exclusion list.

Using an active list would allow to set up workflows that combine your form submission criteria and membership of the DOI confirmed list as AND enrolment triggers. Even if I submitted a form, I won't get added to the workflow until I have confirmed my DOI.

In addition you can use membership of that list create smart content on your thank you page (TYP), as described in my upcoming HubSpot Lists AMA. If a contact has DOI confirmed they can download the asset straigt away, if not they get a prompt on the TYP to check their emails and confirm DOI in order to get the content.

I hope that helps.

Frank

Found my comment helpful? Great! Please mark it as a solution to help other community users.

Frank Steiner

Marketeer | HubSpot Expert | CRM Consultant

InboundPro

Let's Talk About Your Project
danmoyle
Solution

Résolue

@mr-m4ngo if I were in your shoes, I might think about the branch, "delay until event happens." 

...delays enrolled records until they complete an event, such as a form submission or website page visit. Use this delay when you want to pause enrolled records until a specific action is taken. You can also base this delay on internal events, such as task completions.

This shold help you avoid the list if you wanted to. I'm also in agreement with @Jnix284 that the list may still be helpful if you have other needs based on their decision to opt-in or not. 

Dan Moyle

HubSpot Advisor

emailAddress
dan@impulsecreative.com
website
Jnix284

Résolue

@mr-m4ngo I would stick with the list idea, but enroll them in a new workflow with a longer delay, maybe 7 days, 14, 30 etc. that works with your ideal process, the goal would be to give them more time to act on their own with the double opt-in before proceeding, then you can have them follow an appropriate workflow based on whether they opt-in or not.

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

Jennifer Nixon - Delivery Lead at Aptitude 8

connect with Jen on Linkedin