Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

josefroy

How to manage contacts with multiple unique IDs

SOLVE

Hi! First off, sorry if this is totally the wrong spot for this question!

I need some help with a situation in HubSpot. We need to associate a contact with:

1. Another contact
  2. A company where both contacts are associated

Think of it like a student/teacher/school scenario. The teacher is linked to various students, and both the students and the teacher are linked to the school.

Here's the complication: teachers can work for multiple schools and each time, they receive a unique ID. Therefore, a teacher can have multiple unique IDs (1, 2, 3, or more).

Currently, we're storing these unique IDs in a single-line text property, but this is causing duplication issues because some contacts have multiple records due to having different IDs for each record.

I initially thought of using a multi-checkbox property to store these IDs. However, we'll quickly exceed the 5,000 options limit.

Any ideas on how we can better manage these associations and avoid duplication issues?

We mainly handle the assocations bit by importing excel files that associate the records, so that's another thing to consider.

Thanks!

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
trevordjones
Solution
Recognized Expert | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi @josefroy ,

Have you considered using a Custom Object to track the Teacher - Student relationship?

Teacher (Custom Object) Can have associations with:

• Contact (Type - Teacher).  There should really only be one of these per Teacher record.  I would use botha type property on the contact and an association label to track this.
  • Contact (Type - Student).  There could be many of these per teacher.
  • Company (School). There could be many of these as well per teacher.

This requires an Enterprise software package from HubSpot, but I think it will give better data integrity than your current setup.

- Trevor
If my post solves your problem, please accept it as a solution.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1
trevordjones
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @josefroy ,

Have you considered using a Custom Object to track the Teacher - Student relationship?

Teacher (Custom Object) Can have associations with:

• Contact (Type - Teacher).  There should really only be one of these per Teacher record.  I would use botha type property on the contact and an association label to track this.
  • Contact (Type - Student).  There could be many of these per teacher.
  • Company (School). There could be many of these as well per teacher.

This requires an Enterprise software package from HubSpot, but I think it will give better data integrity than your current setup.

- Trevor
If my post solves your problem, please accept it as a solution.