Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

HGorelick

How to create a dropdown for closed lost reason

SOLVE

Hi,

Can I create a dropdown for the reason when we set a deal to close lost?

For example: 

-Price and Budget

-Timing

-No response

-Not interested

If this is an option, I would like to create a workflow or maybe a sequence (whichever makes more sense) for each of the options to trigger what has to be done afterward so the deals don't just sit in closed lost.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you!

1 Accepted solution
Jnix284
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

@HGorelick (editing original response for clarification)

There is a default hubspot property for closed lost reason, it is multi-line text so unless your agents type exactly the same thing everytime, you'd have to account for variations/typos.

You have the option to change the field type to dropdown, but it can't be filled in on any records if you want to edit it (why I originally said it can't be edited, I checked our real account and not my test account, sorry).

This is a really good blog article by @KyleJepson about Closing the Loop which has tons of helpful info.

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

Jennifer Nixon - Delivery Lead at Aptitude 8

connect with Jen on Linkedin

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
LKofoedSørens

SOLVE

But how do you make the dropdown?

0 Upvotes
Jnix284

SOLVE

@LKofoedSørens you'd have to move any data from Closed Lost to another temporary custom property (via a workflow to copy the value to the new property and then remove the value from the old property) - one you do this and the Closed Lost value isn't used for any contacts, you can then modify the property type to change it to a dropdown.

The hard part will be mapping the old values back - you could create an if/then branch that says something like, "if new custom property containts "competitor" set Lost Reason to "Competition" (or whatever value you've added to the dropdown).

You'd essentially have to map all of the open responses back to the dropdown values or you could keep them as-is for historical purposes and only update new lost deals moving forward.

I hope this helps!

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

Jnix284
Solution

SOLVE

@HGorelick (editing original response for clarification)

There is a default hubspot property for closed lost reason, it is multi-line text so unless your agents type exactly the same thing everytime, you'd have to account for variations/typos.

You have the option to change the field type to dropdown, but it can't be filled in on any records if you want to edit it (why I originally said it can't be edited, I checked our real account and not my test account, sorry).

This is a really good blog article by @KyleJepson about Closing the Loop which has tons of helpful info.