Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

TuHoang
Participant

How to auto populate contact property with dynamic values with contact workflow?

SOLVE

Hello,

Is it possible to use workflow to auto-popupate contact property with dynamic values? Eg: if a contact is created without email and known phone number, I will try to set email value as phonenumber@something.com

Thanks.

1 Accepted solution
MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

How to auto populate contact property with dynamic values with contact workflow?

SOLVE

>>"... I know how to setup trigger or conditional things. My question is how to make the value of "phonenumber@something.com" dynamically, not a static text."

This is not built-in HubSpot workflow functionality for setting contact property values. However, tools like Zapier are able to combine HubSpot property values dynamically.

That being said, Zapier will probably want/need a unique record identifier (e.g., {{contact.email}}), so ... may not work.

Finally, you can solve for your EXISTING contacts by: 1) performing an export; 2) setting email address to a unique dummy value based on the unique hidden HubSpot property 'Contact ID'; updating via import using the Contact ID. However, this will not solve for future records.

Hope that helps.

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
Bryantworks
Key Advisor | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hey @TuHoang

You could do something like the following:

Set email _ HubSpot - Google Chrome 2019-03-20 00.31.15.png

You can then do the same for phone number.  I would recommend doing the same if/then statement for a phone number on both branches of the Yes/No.  But do keep in mind email is a unique field in HubSpot, I don't believe your account will let you have multiple contacts with the same email address.  What you could instead do is, create a custom property "Email unknown" and set that to "Yes" if you don't know the email so you can then later alter that.

Hope this makes sense, if you have other questions let me know!

Chris Bryant | Your Dedicated HubSpot Expert
0 Upvotes
TuHoang
Participant

SOLVE

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for your reply. I know how to setup trigger or conditional things. My question is how to make the value of "phonenumber@something.com" dynamically, not a static text.

0 Upvotes
MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

>>"... I know how to setup trigger or conditional things. My question is how to make the value of "phonenumber@something.com" dynamically, not a static text."

This is not built-in HubSpot workflow functionality for setting contact property values. However, tools like Zapier are able to combine HubSpot property values dynamically.

That being said, Zapier will probably want/need a unique record identifier (e.g., {{contact.email}}), so ... may not work.

Finally, you can solve for your EXISTING contacts by: 1) performing an export; 2) setting email address to a unique dummy value based on the unique hidden HubSpot property 'Contact ID'; updating via import using the Contact ID. However, this will not solve for future records.

Hope that helps.

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
TuHoang
Participant

SOLVE

Thank you for your input. Hope we will have such features soon. Using workflow to set dynamic property values will make Hubspot even more extremely powerful automation tool.

Bryantworks

SOLVE

Ah I understand.  I don't think this is something you could do with the native tools within HubSpot.  You could potentially handle this via the Contacts API.

Chris Bryant | Your Dedicated HubSpot Expert
0 Upvotes