Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

jeetdoshi
Contributor

How to attach file to a template?

SOLVE

When you're creating templates, unlike adding a link, i do not see any option of attaching a file, let's say if i want to add a brochure, i simply can't do that.

Is there any way around this?

1 Accepted solution
MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

Q: How to attach file to a template?

Short A: You don't.

Longer A

Not only don't HubSpot templates work that way, neither does HubSpot email. We suspect this is mainly because those 'attachments' (if they were available) would offer very limited engagement intelligence if any.

The preferred solution and HubSpot best practice is to add a CTA to your template (&/or email). That CTA can be an image (e.g., cover of your brochure) and can link back to a full page PDF, or landing page (even better) that delivers deep engagement intelligence.

It's not good enough to just see who opens email, or an attachment. We need to know if and when they click on our assets and how long they spend viewing them.

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12
BQuah
Participant

SOLVE

Was wondering if there are any updates to this? 
Doesn't really need the intelligence or whatever, just need to make my life easier (purpose of a template)

Lle4
Participant

SOLVE

Have there been any updates on this? Unfortunately, the last option doesn't seem to work for me...

0 Upvotes
TiphaineCuisset
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @Lle4 

Thank you for reaching out. 

Can you clarify a bit more what's happening? The more information, screenshots, and details you can provide the better we can assist!

Thank you

Best

Tiphaine

Saviez vous que la Communauté est disponible en français?
Rejoignez les discussions francophones en changeant votre langue dans les paramètres !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

0 Upvotes
liberworm
Contributor

SOLVE

There is...you have to: 

Go to Marketing>Files and Templates>Files

Upload your file 

Then in the template/knowledge article: 

Click on the " insert link" icon

Enter the text you want to associate to your link

Change the "link to" dropdown to file download" 

Browse out to your file

MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

Q: How to attach file to a template?

Short A: You don't.

Longer A

Not only don't HubSpot templates work that way, neither does HubSpot email. We suspect this is mainly because those 'attachments' (if they were available) would offer very limited engagement intelligence if any.

The preferred solution and HubSpot best practice is to add a CTA to your template (&/or email). That CTA can be an image (e.g., cover of your brochure) and can link back to a full page PDF, or landing page (even better) that delivers deep engagement intelligence.

It's not good enough to just see who opens email, or an attachment. We need to know if and when they click on our assets and how long they spend viewing them.

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
liberworm
Contributor

SOLVE

We use the knowledgebase for help articles for our clients. Some of our articles had (before HS) links to downloadable templates they could use that related to features in our software. 

If ServiceHub is going to position itself as a client ticketing and support solution the ability to add certain functionality shouldn't be negated merely because it doesn't offer engagement intelligence. It also needs to offer standard support solution usabilty. 

MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

SOLVE

-ps

If you're using HubSpot SALES Templates, the 'links' you add are intelligent links that can be used with images as well.

Example:

You could place a small image of your brochure in your template and link that image to the actual brochure file (stored on HubSpot). That way you can see deep intelligence whenever recipients open your file.

In fact, here's a clickable image for you to 'test'. The first article in that document also includes greater detail as to the intelligence HubSpot collects about recipients.

HubSpot Sales Pro DocumentHubSpot Sales Pro Document

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Upvotes
h2ds
Participant

SOLVE

Definitely bad design. Paid customers should be given the option to attach a PDF files if they please. 

I'm all for intelligent links, but users shouldn't have standard options remove for the sake of "intelligent links". Particuarly in year 2020. 

GlennHunter
Participant

SOLVE

I care about actual sales activity more than intelligence,  otherwise is ignorance.  Yes, businesses intelligence is important but you must also be offered the ability for the gold.

PhotoJoe
Participant

SOLVE

I agree. Having the option to do it either way would be best.

AnthonyAlloy

SOLVE

This isn't really an acceptable design approach.

Many of my prospects are people that I give industry info to. Most of that info is in PDF format from govt agencies who don't update their websites... 58 in CA alone.

It seems like such an easy feature. I guess I'll have to email my 355 prospects individually. 

Thank you!

Morten1966

SOLVE

Hi 
There is a workaround, the problem if you upload your document in documents, and make a link you can use that link in your template. You dont get intelligent data but you can attach a pdf.
hope that helped
Morten ( excuse my poor english)

0 Upvotes