Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

fiachra_duffy
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

How to A/B test within a Workflow (workaround with guide video)

A/B Testing is now in Beta

Reach out to your Customer Success Manager and ask to be enrolled - no need for complicated workarounds anymore! 🙌

Here is a short video walking you through the steps to setup A/B testing in any of your workflows. 

This method ensures completely random assignment of contacts between two groups.

You can use this to determine which step is more effective and then implement it fully. 

***Please UPVOTE if you found this useful*** 😀 👍

This is a workaround so please upvote the idea here too.

Here is a useful guide on A/B testing in general.

EDIT:
I've gotten some questions around which users to assign to the A/B Team so here are my ideas:

• If you have any generic email addresses that aren't being used in the HubSpot portal (hello@, info@ etc...)
  • If there are any staff that don't have HubSpot profiles and would be okay helping set this up for you
  • Using a personal email address
  • If you use Gmail, you can create an alias using a + 
    • Copy the link HubSpot emails to you to setup the new profile and open it in Incognito to create a new HubSpot user

Remember to run all of these past your Security or IT Admin teams before implementing!

***Please UPVOTE if you found this useful*** 😀 👍

18 Replies 18
wZuzjDS

The best information is that there's an replace at the real functionality entering into testing, so no want for workarounds

0 Upvotes
Mike_Donnelly
Top Contributor

Hey @fiachra_duffy - I know this solution is a bit aged, but very creative.  I also know HubSpot has allowed 50/50 split in an email with workflows, but for more advanced capabilities, we built a split test automation tool that any HubSpot Marketing Pro / Enterprise user can install and it automates the ability to a/b or multi-variate test.  We're in the process of getting it listed in the HubSpot App Marketplace, but here's a link to a page where you can check it out / install it.  https://www.theseventhsense.com/split-test-automation

karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

Good news everyone, this is now a feature (in beta)! https://knowledge.hubspot.com/workflows/automate-ab-emails-with-workflows

For access, you'd reach out to your account manager / customer success manager at HubSpot.

(Still love your workaround, @fiachra_duffy.)

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

Mike_Donnelly
Top Contributor

Hey @karstenkoehler - We had some advanced needs to split and multi-variate test, so for anyone interested, we created a workflow tool called split test automation.  It's a free tool for anyone using HubSpot workflows (Pro and Enterprise).  It's in the final review process to be listed on the HubSpot App Marketplace, however, if you'd like to check it out / install it, here's a link to do so.  https://www.theseventhsense.com/split-test-automation

0 Upvotes
Mariontex
Participant

Thanks @fiachra_duffy this is very useful!

0 Upvotes
fiachra_duffy
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

@JRay9  the new Beta currently only allows for 50:50 testing. Once you select a winner, that becomes the default. 

You could in theory try my method to achieve a different split, but I would advise against this and instead ask your Customer Success Manager to be enrolled on the beta. More features will follow, don't worry!

JRay9
Participant

Ah thanks for letting know. I will wait until Hubspot adds an option.
0 Upvotes
JRay9
Participant

Hi! 

I would like to run a 50-50 split test on my target list to analyze the performance of a content asset... can I achieve the 50-50 split in A/B test instead of the pre-determined 80-20 test?

Thanks!

0 Upvotes
inscopixdev

Hi @fiachra_duffy 
I have a workflow like Fill out conatct form submission  on any page. Nect action have if then where create three branch of cotact propery if the value 1,2,3. For 1 = Sending an email and 2,3 also having different email.

How I can Do A/B testing on this workflow

inscopixdev_0-1604581628636.png

0 Upvotes
fiachra_duffy
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

@inscopixdev 

If the property value 1, 2 & 3 are randomly assigned then you are already A/B/C testing your emails!

If you are able to rotate hubspot user as a Workflow Action, then you can A/B test any one of the branches.

Rather than sending the email as the next step, add another If/Then branch based off the randomly assigned property. 

So you can A/B test on any branch or all branches. 

Best to check with your Customer Success Team for help walking through it! 🙂 

Aelia
Contributor

Hi,

Alright so I tried following the video step-by-step, and I got this:

Aelia_0-1601440902648.png

Sadly, I can't use the rotate contacts feature because I don't have Sales Professional, I'm on Marketing Professional. :'(

0 Upvotes
fiachra_duffy
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

@Aelia 

I went to check and it turns out that rotating among users requires either Sales Hub Pro, or a Marketing Hub that was set up before 2018 – apologies, I didn't realise this feature was rolled into Sales Hub exclusively.

However – the good news is that there's an update on the actual functionality moving into testing, so no need for workarounds! 

Update here

GF20
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

This is a great resource! Thanks very much @fiachra_duffy 

Drishtii
Contributor

Very useful @fiachra_duffy !

Will use this until the Hubspot tech team launches an A/B test feature 🙂

Aelia
Contributor

Hi,

Can you clear out a confusion for me?

This workflow is based on lead owners. 

I have a lead assignment already in place that assigns demo/trial leads immediately to sales, who are HubSpot users as well.  

Is this going to be a problem if I use this method? If so, what else can I work with?

fiachra_duffy
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Hi Aeila, 

So you definitely don't want to unassign your sales team from new leads! 🙂 

If you go to 1 min 45 in the video, you'll see where I create a new Contact Property called A/B Divider.

This is a HubSpot User property.

This allows you to keep your Lead Owner property comletely seperate from the A/B testing process.

You can use the A/B Divider property to assign another HubSpot user to the contact. 

That way, your sales team can keep the exact same process that runs on the Lead Owner property and you can run A/B tests using the A/B Divider property. 

If you get stuck, your Customer Success Team will be able to show you through this in more detail. 

Hope that helps!

Fiachrá

0 Upvotes
Aelia
Contributor

Hey Fiachrá,

Sorry I missed your previous post!

I'm still kinda confused, but I'll reach out to my Account Manager and clarify the steps. I will post here in case any one else has the same concerns.

Thank you! 🙂

0 Upvotes
fiachra_duffy
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Hi Aelia,

I'm on leave till next Thursday and will post an idea for you then if that's ok? 🙂