Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

shdcra

How do you forward an email to a different recipient in Hubspot?

SOLVE

I have set up Hubspot CRM to use for a small non-profit association where we have roles such as Chairman, Secretary, Treasurer etc.  I have set up users under those aliases and Gmail accounts using the association's domain name.  I am trying to encourage the office holders to use Hubspot for more processes but that is difficult if the functionality is not there.

I cannot see how to forward an email within Hubspot.

In Gmail, you can select Reply or Forward.  In Hubspot, you seem to be restricted to Reply only as there is no button or drop-down for forwarding.  This appears to be a serious omission which will make it difficult for the officeholders to get their heads round Hubspot (they are not very computer literate to start with).  In the meantime, I will tell them to use Gmail for all emailing.

1 Accepted solution
MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

Q: How do you forward an email to a different recipient in Hubspot??

Short A: You don't.

Longer A:

HubSpot Sales and HubSpot Marketing tools are designed to send one-to-one and one-to-many emails. However, HubSpot is not an email client.

There is no native email forwarding built-in to HubSpot Sales or HubSpot Marketing. Your approach is correct. Advise your users to connect their email inbox to HubSpot then send from their respective email cients (e.g., Gmail or Outlook).

- see Connect your inbox to HubSpot

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
ukhubspot
Participant

SOLVE

Late to the party here, but I feel this request isn't email - it's conversations. Forwarding a message, or the reason I'm here, being able to add another participant to a conversation, is a crucial feature of any shared inbox solution. 

Either they're in the messaging business or they're not, but taking a dogmatic approach and building 80% of what should be a core feature set doesn't really seem right? 

0 Upvotes
Sly
Participant

SOLVE

I'm not sure how email hosting and the sort works or what kind of obstacles would be in the Hubspot dev team's way if they were to tackle this issue, but I do agree this would propel Hubspot forward in many users eyes...

Perhaps there is some alternate way to get around this issue with a button labeled "Forward" that could redirect you to your connected email host/client/etc. and forward from there. (i.e. you click the arrow next to a contact's name in the inbox, the "forward" button is at the bottom after the sender/ receiver data in conversations, and if you click it, opens a Gmail/outlook/etc. window with all of the info necessary.

Is this a plausible solution?

GB3
Participant

SOLVE

HubSpot has made it very clear that the three biggest things that would make them untouchable they simply aren't interested in doing. There are reasons for this (that IMO are not very strong reasons) and also a few work arounds. 

Email - They are not an email host or exchange and don't want to be. 

• The traffic they would be responsible for would be imense they are correct in their concern for the liability this would create. These days it is best left to companies that have a primary focus in that direction. 
  • Their work around is via an Outlook, 365 and Gmail extention and it could be a lot better. If they want to do it better they could make HS be the interface that is operating Outlook, 365 and Gmail directly and in the background. They are fully aware that this is high on the feature request list for their users at all levels. 

Security - They are not HIPPA compliant and prohibit medical and financial information in their TOS

• I assume this is because they want their development and support to be able to access as much as possible. Having a name attached to an illness would be a problem without costly and extensive training and certification for every HS employee. When you receive support they would have to "remote in" rather than just pull up your HS instance on their end. 
  • Having contact and deal properties that are encrypted except for the end user and file attachments that have a password to view each time they are viewed is a great start but they won't do that for some reason. 

Contact Associations - Often, two contacts are associated i.e. family there is currently no way to associate two contacts without creating a company or a deal. 

• This is a constant source of frustration and shouldn't require a work around at all. A field on the left hand side where you can see the associated deals and companies should also have a line that says "Associated Contacts", then show the contact and the reason they are associated i.e. "Spouse" or "Business Partner" etc. On the right hand column of a contact view right under their name, title and company it should say "Primary Contact" or "Secondary Contact"  
  • The best work around for this is to create a deal, Create a custom deal property called "Contact Associations" When selecting the deal type name it contact "associations", then add the second contact to that deal and finally exclude that deal type from your pipeline and dashboards. 
  • The second best is to make a custom contact properties that lists the spouse info but this makes it harder to track activity pertaining to any person that is not the primary contact.
  • I've also tried the "deals work around" mentioned above but using "Companies" instead but that is actually more work. 
  • The reason for this seems to be that we are charged by contact count. A logical conclusion to allowing contact associations would be that customers will soon after ask not to be charged for the associated contact.   

Each of these things are big and among the most commonly discussed feature requests. Although these are pretty big compromises, especially when you consider that HS is among the most expensive CRMs for people with large contact counts or that need Pro functionality, it is still the best CRM in the business.  There isn't even anyone in close second place. 

TechEvangelist
Participant

SOLVE

My humble view - irrespective of whether hubspot is an email client or not, it is used to record exchanges (as is it's intention) and occasionally there is a need to forward emails.  Yes you can use another client but given the functionality is there to reply directly in hubspot,  it is therefore still a "missing" feature and one that would gain hubspot kudos.

Halli
Participant

SOLVE

Agree i need this function bad

GB3
Participant

SOLVE

Hi! In rewatching the toutorial you will see that under Assignee, if an email is assigned to you and you aren't the best person to handle it you can assign it to another user. As long as the person it is being forwarded to is part of the org then that could serve as solution. 

I'm new around here so if that is way off can someone explain to me why?

0 Upvotes
MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

Q: How do you forward an email to a different recipient in Hubspot??

Short A: You don't.

Longer A:

HubSpot Sales and HubSpot Marketing tools are designed to send one-to-one and one-to-many emails. However, HubSpot is not an email client.

There is no native email forwarding built-in to HubSpot Sales or HubSpot Marketing. Your approach is correct. Advise your users to connect their email inbox to HubSpot then send from their respective email cients (e.g., Gmail or Outlook).

- see Connect your inbox to HubSpot

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com