Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

BVazquez

How can I tag people in multiple topics/interest/industries?

SOLVE

Hi, I'll try to be as much clear as I can. If you can help, that would be awesome!

I have a website where we talk to different industries/products/services/topics.

And inside the pages from the menu, I tag easily from specific forms as a hidden field "industries/products/services/topics"  so my aim is to create a some lists with specific

filters according to people (who fill up a contact form) I want to see inside that list.

For example, I created a list with contacts who submitted a contact form following these requirements: 

Industry: Maritime

Products: Estimation software

Services:  software implementation

BUT, I also have a blog where we talk about a lot of topics/industries/products/services

and we created some specific contact forms where we have hidden fiels to identify "topics/industries/products/services"  and also we have "standard contact form" 

But our situation is that we don't want to create A LOT of unique contact forms for each new blog post 

Is there a way I could easily filter  topics/industries/products/services without create a new form every time we publish something new. 

So our goal is to filter people with topics/industries/products/services  when they fill up a contact form. 

Thanks for your help.

0 Upvotes
2 Accepted solutions
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @BVazquez,

This one of the more complicated things to do in HubSpot, a very valid requirement though. Which HubSpot subscription are you on? Unfortunately, the only scalable solution requires workflows, only available in Professional and Enterprise licenses.

The biggest challenge is that HubSpot's default behavior for hidden form fields is to overwrite, not append values. Let's say a contact submits form 1 and passes value A into a dropdown select property, then submits form 2 and passes value B into the same property – only B will be stored.

That's where workflows come in. Workflows can append values to a property. In a contact-based workflow, you would enroll contacts for whom value B was just passed – and append this value to another property. (For this solution, you always need a form property that acts as a temporary vessel and another property that collects all values. The workflow always checks the form property that will overwritten with the next form submission and stores (appends) the value safely to the second property.)

The same logic would be applied for your blog posts. Unfortunately, I can't think of any scenario where this isn't a lot of manual work: You could pass the topic of a blog post by customizing the embed code, see here, but that's almost as much work as using separate forms to begin with. @Ben_M, since you were also active in the thread linked, do you have any ideas how this could be solved?

I'd be inclined to approach this from an entirely different angle: Ask the website visitor explicitly in the form which topics they are interested in, for example, potentially by using progressive fields.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

Ben_M
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Using a CMS, you could customize the embed code automatically based on data that is already to publish the page. There's still going to be a lot of work assuming if someone could/will complete multiple forms. You would need to capture them into static lists upon the submission with certain variables, otherwise to the point that was already raised, the data would become overwritten and in this instance, dynamic lists would become unreliable.  Do you see this as a possibility or do you find that once your visitors go down a specific path they stay on that path?

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
Ben_M
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Using a CMS, you could customize the embed code automatically based on data that is already to publish the page. There's still going to be a lot of work assuming if someone could/will complete multiple forms. You would need to capture them into static lists upon the submission with certain variables, otherwise to the point that was already raised, the data would become overwritten and in this instance, dynamic lists would become unreliable.  Do you see this as a possibility or do you find that once your visitors go down a specific path they stay on that path?

karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @BVazquez,

This one of the more complicated things to do in HubSpot, a very valid requirement though. Which HubSpot subscription are you on? Unfortunately, the only scalable solution requires workflows, only available in Professional and Enterprise licenses.

The biggest challenge is that HubSpot's default behavior for hidden form fields is to overwrite, not append values. Let's say a contact submits form 1 and passes value A into a dropdown select property, then submits form 2 and passes value B into the same property – only B will be stored.

That's where workflows come in. Workflows can append values to a property. In a contact-based workflow, you would enroll contacts for whom value B was just passed – and append this value to another property. (For this solution, you always need a form property that acts as a temporary vessel and another property that collects all values. The workflow always checks the form property that will overwritten with the next form submission and stores (appends) the value safely to the second property.)

The same logic would be applied for your blog posts. Unfortunately, I can't think of any scenario where this isn't a lot of manual work: You could pass the topic of a blog post by customizing the embed code, see here, but that's almost as much work as using separate forms to begin with. @Ben_M, since you were also active in the thread linked, do you have any ideas how this could be solved?

I'd be inclined to approach this from an entirely different angle: Ask the website visitor explicitly in the form which topics they are interested in, for example, potentially by using progressive fields.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.