Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

KEast810
Member | Gold Partner
Member | Gold Partner

Hiya, New here and Looking for more Tips to pass along!

SOLVE

Hey everyone, I am new to Marketing Hub (almost done with my certification now) but would love any tips and best practices that you would like to share! 

A little about me, I am a Project/Account Manager for Knowmad Digital Marketing Agency and have been in the role for almost 5 months! Prior to that, I was doing corporate marketing management for a global manufacturing company! 

5 Accepted solutions
Mike_Eastwood
Solution
Key Advisor | Gold Partner

SOLVE

Welcome @KEast810 

First two three four tips that spring to mind:

1. Test, Test and Test again. Make sure all your Emails, Forms, Workflows, etc. have had end-to-end tests. Even if you change one thing test it again.
  2. lots of small Workflows are easier to manage than one big Workflow. Big Worlflows get confusing and hard to test. A small workflow can be simeple, run a couple of steps, then enroll a Contact in another Workflow – much easier to manage.
  3. Create a good naming convention for all your Emails, Forms, Workflows, etc. e.g. "Tips Form 20220708" (I put the date backwards - because I'm a geek – and it makes it easier to remember when you did stuff)
  4. keep your eyes open for default content – there are hundreds of pages indexed by Google with defaault content.

Keen to see what others say.

Have fun

Mike

View solution in original post

Jnix284
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Elite Partner

SOLVE

Hi @KEast810 welcome to the community and congrats on starting your journey with HubSpot Marketing!

I also have a background in global manufacturing, both prior to starting with HubSpot (the HON company/Artcobell) and after (Wilsonart), and definitely can relate to the change you're experiencing going from corporate to agency. 🙂

Kudos to you for starting on your certification right away, I did the same thing and it served me really well. There honestly isn't a better way to get a comprehensive overview of the platform!

Here are my tips and suggestions:

1. Take advantage of having fresh eyes, whether that is in HubSpot or other projects, don't be afraid to ask questions and share your thoughts while everything is new to you. You might pick up on something others have overlooked because it's been a certain way for so long.

2. Be involved in the community (love that you jumped right in) and share ideas, we're all in this together!

3. Ask for access to reporting early if you don't have it, create your own private dashboard to get hands on experience creating reports for metrics that matter to you. Reporting is very comprehensive and this is a great way to dip your toes in to see what's possible. It will help you better understand the reports your team is using.

4. As a PM, I found the best thing to be is helpful and a good listener. I wear many hats at our small agency and empathise with the different emotions our customers feel throughout their journey to build relationships that are meaningful to them.

5. Get your hands dirty by using the tools, create clones to see what your team has done before, inspect work being done in your client accounts, the more you can understand what your team is doing, the more helpful you'll be in answering questions for your customers.

I hope this helps a little, not so much on the technical side of things, I'm sure some of the others will have plenty of tips there!

All the best,

Jennifer

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

Jennifer Nixon - Delivery Lead at Aptitude 8

connect with Jen on Linkedin

danmoyle
Solution

SOLVE

Welcome to the Community, @KEast810! Great advice here so far. And you're already doing the first thing I would suggest: Being curious and open to learning. That's my personal magic moment. Always be learning. 

A couple other thoughts to pass along (in addition to what's been said):

1.  Be open to cross-industry collaboration and learning. You might be amazed at what the fashion industry could teach the banking industry, for instance. 
  2. Help others. Even when you're "new," you have ideas and insights, and your questions just might unlock something for another human. Helping others nearly always pays off in piles of karma.
  3. Find a favorite resource. And find another. As much as I love HubSpot content (and have taken in so much over 12 years), I've also found favorites like Content Marketing Institute, MarketingProfs, Search Engine Journal ... and personal voices, too. #MarketingTwitter can be a great place to connect with people!

I hope that helps! Happy HubSpotting! 

Did my answer help? Please "mark as a solution" to help others find answers. Plus I really appreciate it!

Dan Moyle

HubSpot Advisor

LearningOps | Impulse Creative

emailAddress
dan@impulsecreative.com
website
https://impulsecreative.com/

JenBergren
Solution
Guide

SOLVE

Hi @KEast810 ! There are already a lot of good tips here!

Use the comments feature wherever you can to explain what you did and how it works (small documentation on each screen/page such as within workflows).

And also keep that documentation about naming conventions, and everything else, somewhere the whole company knows where to access it and keep it up to date! If you have Service Hub then the Knowledge Base it a good place to store...knowledge 🙂 

Thanks!
Jen Bergren
Human-Centered Operations Leader, HubSpot SuperFan, Instructional Design and Lifelong Learning Advocate
Connect with me on Linkedin

isabellweiss
Solution
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi all,

totally agree with the naming convention. This helps so much! Two more suggestions:

1) Work with folders where possible and also use a naming convention for these. Folders can be used in almost any HubSpot tool and are especially helpful within the files manager, the forms tool and the workflows tool.

2) Minimize data fields and properties for forms: Before you start to set up forms I would suggest to set up a stratgey in order to minimize the risk that you end up with multiple salutation, country, message etc. properties. Some best practices (of course everyone should evaluate if these are applicable for their context):

• Use "global" fields across all forms where possible (e.g. message field).
  • If you have forms in multiple languages I would avoid to set up a country field for each language. Instead set up one country field in a language that each of your HubSpot users understands (e.g. English) and then use the same field on every form and translate it to the sepcific language on the form. 

Looking forward to more best practices from everyone. 🙂

Best,

Isabell

11 Replies 11
isabellweiss
Solution
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi all,

totally agree with the naming convention. This helps so much! Two more suggestions:

1) Work with folders where possible and also use a naming convention for these. Folders can be used in almost any HubSpot tool and are especially helpful within the files manager, the forms tool and the workflows tool.

2) Minimize data fields and properties for forms: Before you start to set up forms I would suggest to set up a stratgey in order to minimize the risk that you end up with multiple salutation, country, message etc. properties. Some best practices (of course everyone should evaluate if these are applicable for their context):

• Use "global" fields across all forms where possible (e.g. message field).
  • If you have forms in multiple languages I would avoid to set up a country field for each language. Instead set up one country field in a language that each of your HubSpot users understands (e.g. English) and then use the same field on every form and translate it to the sepcific language on the form. 

Looking forward to more best practices from everyone. 🙂

Best,

Isabell

JenBergren
Solution
Guide

SOLVE

Hi @KEast810 ! There are already a lot of good tips here!

Use the comments feature wherever you can to explain what you did and how it works (small documentation on each screen/page such as within workflows).

And also keep that documentation about naming conventions, and everything else, somewhere the whole company knows where to access it and keep it up to date! If you have Service Hub then the Knowledge Base it a good place to store...knowledge 🙂 

Thanks!
Jen Bergren
Human-Centered Operations Leader, HubSpot SuperFan, Instructional Design and Lifelong Learning Advocate
Connect with me on Linkedin
kvlschaefer
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Great tips, @JenBergren! Thanks for sharing! 🙂 

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !
0 Upvotes
danmoyle
Solution

SOLVE

Welcome to the Community, @KEast810! Great advice here so far. And you're already doing the first thing I would suggest: Being curious and open to learning. That's my personal magic moment. Always be learning. 

A couple other thoughts to pass along (in addition to what's been said):

1.  Be open to cross-industry collaboration and learning. You might be amazed at what the fashion industry could teach the banking industry, for instance. 
  2. Help others. Even when you're "new," you have ideas and insights, and your questions just might unlock something for another human. Helping others nearly always pays off in piles of karma.
  3. Find a favorite resource. And find another. As much as I love HubSpot content (and have taken in so much over 12 years), I've also found favorites like Content Marketing Institute, MarketingProfs, Search Engine Journal ... and personal voices, too. #MarketingTwitter can be a great place to connect with people!

I hope that helps! Happy HubSpotting! 

Did my answer help? Please "mark as a solution" to help others find answers. Plus I really appreciate it!

Dan Moyle

HubSpot Advisor

LearningOps | Impulse Creative

emailAddress
dan@impulsecreative.com
website
https://impulsecreative.com/
kvlschaefer
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Wonderful advice, @danmoyle! Thanks for sharing your expertise! 👏

Jnix284
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @KEast810 welcome to the community and congrats on starting your journey with HubSpot Marketing!

I also have a background in global manufacturing, both prior to starting with HubSpot (the HON company/Artcobell) and after (Wilsonart), and definitely can relate to the change you're experiencing going from corporate to agency. 🙂

Kudos to you for starting on your certification right away, I did the same thing and it served me really well. There honestly isn't a better way to get a comprehensive overview of the platform!

Here are my tips and suggestions:

1. Take advantage of having fresh eyes, whether that is in HubSpot or other projects, don't be afraid to ask questions and share your thoughts while everything is new to you. You might pick up on something others have overlooked because it's been a certain way for so long.

2. Be involved in the community (love that you jumped right in) and share ideas, we're all in this together!

3. Ask for access to reporting early if you don't have it, create your own private dashboard to get hands on experience creating reports for metrics that matter to you. Reporting is very comprehensive and this is a great way to dip your toes in to see what's possible. It will help you better understand the reports your team is using.

4. As a PM, I found the best thing to be is helpful and a good listener. I wear many hats at our small agency and empathise with the different emotions our customers feel throughout their journey to build relationships that are meaningful to them.

5. Get your hands dirty by using the tools, create clones to see what your team has done before, inspect work being done in your client accounts, the more you can understand what your team is doing, the more helpful you'll be in answering questions for your customers.

I hope this helps a little, not so much on the technical side of things, I'm sure some of the others will have plenty of tips there!

All the best,

Jennifer

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

Jennifer Nixon - Delivery Lead at Aptitude 8

connect with Jen on Linkedin

kvlschaefer
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Great advice, @Jnix284! Thank you for sharing your experiences and tips with us! 

kvlschaefer
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @KEast810,

Welcome to the Community and Marketing Hub!

This is a great question! 😃

I would like to invite our experts to this conversation to see what tips and tricks they have up their sleeves.

Hi @NicoleSengers@danmoyle@stuartbalcombe@klloyd__1@Jnix284@JenBergren - Do you have any best practices you would like to share with @KEast810?

Looking forward to hearing what the others have to say!

Best,

Kristen

0 Upvotes
Mike_Eastwood
Solution

SOLVE

Welcome @KEast810 

First two three four tips that spring to mind:

1. Test, Test and Test again. Make sure all your Emails, Forms, Workflows, etc. have had end-to-end tests. Even if you change one thing test it again.
  2. lots of small Workflows are easier to manage than one big Workflow. Big Worlflows get confusing and hard to test. A small workflow can be simeple, run a couple of steps, then enroll a Contact in another Workflow – much easier to manage.
  3. Create a good naming convention for all your Emails, Forms, Workflows, etc. e.g. "Tips Form 20220708" (I put the date backwards - because I'm a geek – and it makes it easier to remember when you did stuff)
  4. keep your eyes open for default content – there are hundreds of pages indexed by Google with defaault content.

Keen to see what others say.

Have fun

Mike

kvlschaefer
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Awesome advice, @Mike_Eastwood! Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us! 

LWildman
Contributor

SOLVE

I love your naming convention! I do the same thing, but with periods: 2022.07.08, for example. For the same reason! 🙂