Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

daljeetsingh
Participant

Filter contacts on different columns and mass update information in one particular column

SOLVE

Hi,

I am trying to filter contacts by using filters across multiple columns and then want to mass update one column(property) that I have already custom created in contacts. 

I have been able to create a custom report using the following criteria on Contact Properties and Deal Properties, :

Deal Name contains any of "XYX", "ABC" 

OR

Call Notes contains any of "XYX", "ABC"

OR

Note Body contains any of "XYX", "ABC"

OR

Task Notes contains any of "XYX", "ABC"

OR

TR# contains any of "XYX", "ABC"

But now I want to update one particular column for all these filtered contacts. But I cannot do it because:

1. I am unable create a Custom View in which I can see Contact Properties and Deal Properties side by side and I am unable to apply the filters like above.

2. The filter available in Custom View table doesn't allow records to be filtered based on above criteria. The only filters available are "Contains Exactly" and "And" which are opposite of what I am using in my report. 

How can I accomplish what I am trying to do? Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

Filter contacts on different columns and mass update information in one particular column

SOLVE

Hi @daljeetsingh,

Unfortunately that's not as straightforward as it should be.

If you're looking for these specific properties, you would indeed have to create a report, a cross-object report to be more precise – across activities and contacts. You would then export the report (see button on the upper right in the report editor), and re-import the email addresses.

During the import process, you can choose to create a list of these contacts. Once you have these contacts in a list, you can follow these steps to bulk edit a property (= column): https://knowledge.hubspot.com/crm-setup/how-can-i-bulk-edit-contacts-companies-deals-or-tasks

HubSpot doesn't display all characteristics of an object the same way in all tools – hence the complicated process in your use case.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
daljeetsingh
Participant

SOLVE

Thank you, Karsten. Your response is helpful. 

Agreed there are some constraints here. For now, I was able to accomplish what I needed without some columns. 

Best,

Daljeet

karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @daljeetsingh,

Could elaborate on why you need to see contact properties and deal properties side by side?

In any case, you should be able to filter contacts in an active list instead of a contacts view. (Menu > Contacts > Lists)

karstenkoehler_0-1618203815836.png

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

daljeetsingh
Participant

SOLVE

Thanks for your help, Karsten.

I have been able to create the list but:

1. Unable to see columns for:

- Email Body

- Internal Meeting Notes

- Call notes

- Meeting Description

- Note Body

- Task Notes

- Deal Name

- TR#

2. How do I mass update one particular column for all the contacts in this list?

Thank you.

Daljeet

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @daljeetsingh,

Unfortunately that's not as straightforward as it should be.

If you're looking for these specific properties, you would indeed have to create a report, a cross-object report to be more precise – across activities and contacts. You would then export the report (see button on the upper right in the report editor), and re-import the email addresses.

During the import process, you can choose to create a list of these contacts. Once you have these contacts in a list, you can follow these steps to bulk edit a property (= column): https://knowledge.hubspot.com/crm-setup/how-can-i-bulk-edit-contacts-companies-deals-or-tasks

HubSpot doesn't display all characteristics of an object the same way in all tools – hence the complicated process in your use case.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler