Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

CMoos

Filter by company change

SOLVE

Hello Community,

we would like to create a report that includes valuable contacts (filter by origin type) from people who have changed companies to approach them again.
The background is that we are researching if the email to these people fail (bounce) or we get an auto-response email with reference to the new company.

I have filtered for:
Contact properties
Origin
Email domain has been updated by reason for hard bounce of email
Company properties
Date of last change was updated in the last 360 days

Unfortunately, the result is not satisfactory.
Does anyone have experience with this and can give tips?

Thanks and greetings from Germany!
Tina

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

Filter by company change

SOLVE

Hi @CMoos,

Are you updating the email address of these contacts on the same contact record? (If not and if the contact fills out a form with their new email address, they would show up as a separate contact record and not be caught by your list as they have never bounced.)

Generally, I would not recommend updating the existing contact:

There are different opinions on this. Personally, I'd recommend creating a new contact record as the majority of their engagement was related to their role at the previous company. (Or in other words, I wouldn't rely on segmenting or automating based on the earlier information as it might not be accurate to their new situation.)

To keep the "link" between the old and new, I'd pin a note to the top of each contact record that includes a link to the other contact record, for easy reference.

If you do want to update the existing record, then it depends on how you're updating the email address. Assuming that you're replacing the primary email address, the value in the Email Hard Bounce Reason field would remain.

That means that you can search for contacts with:

[Email hard bounce reason is known

AND

Email has been updated in the last 365 days]

OR

AND

Company name has been updated in the last 365 days]

Again, this will not catch any new email addresses in separate contact records as they have not bounced.

Let me know if that answers your question!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

Filter by company change

SOLVE

Hi @CMoos,

Are you updating the email address of these contacts on the same contact record? (If not and if the contact fills out a form with their new email address, they would show up as a separate contact record and not be caught by your list as they have never bounced.)

Generally, I would not recommend updating the existing contact:

There are different opinions on this. Personally, I'd recommend creating a new contact record as the majority of their engagement was related to their role at the previous company. (Or in other words, I wouldn't rely on segmenting or automating based on the earlier information as it might not be accurate to their new situation.)

To keep the "link" between the old and new, I'd pin a note to the top of each contact record that includes a link to the other contact record, for easy reference.

If you do want to update the existing record, then it depends on how you're updating the email address. Assuming that you're replacing the primary email address, the value in the Email Hard Bounce Reason field would remain.

That means that you can search for contacts with:

AND

Email has been updated in the last 365 days]

OR

AND

Company name has been updated in the last 365 days]

Again, this will not catch any new email addresses in separate contact records as they have not bounced.

Let me know if that answers your question!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

MHansmire

Filter by company change

SOLVE

Hello - I  like your solution but how do I search for contacts where an email address that has changed? 

0 Upvotes
CMoos

Filter by company change

SOLVE

Hi Karsten,
thank you for taking the time to answer me in such detail. Unfortunately, it is not yet the solution I was looking for. I will keep trying.
Best regards,
Christina Moos

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

Filter by company change

SOLVE

Hi @CMoos,

Could you specify what you're missing here? What exactly is not working as expected?

Best regards

Karsten Köhler

0 Upvotes