Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

CMathes
Participant

Filter Contacts for Workflow Email

SOLVE

Hey everyone!

I am new to HubSpot and the community - but am eager to learn.

Question - I am creating a Workflow to automatically send an email once the "Deal Stage" has been changed. Is there a way to send to some Contacts, instead of All? I see an Association Label needs to be created, but that is where I hit a wall, because I don't understand how an Association Label can help with this. 

Does HubSpot not have this functionality, or am I overlooking a step?

Any and all help is appreciated! 🙂

I look forward to getting to know more of the Community. 

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @CMathes,

If you want to send an email to specific contacts when a deal hits a certain deal stage, it's easier to create a contact-based workflow instead of a deal-based workflow.

You're right, in a deal-based workflow you can select association labels. Currently, these labels can't be set by workflow and all forms of updating them have a manual component. What you'd be doing here is telling HubSpot to only send an email to contacts associated with the deal matching a certain label. This label describes the relationship between contact and deal.

Alternatively, create a contact-based workflow. In the enrollment criteria, you can also reference deal properties. Select the Deal stage and all other contact criteria you want to use to narrow down who's receiving your email. Using a contact-based workflow has one big downside: It can only be triggered once. It's not possible to re-enroll contacts into a contact-based workflow based on a deal property. In other words, if your contact-based workflow sends the email and then a new deal moves to the same stage again, the workflow wouldn't fire again. (If you're customers usually purchase once, this is not an issue. If repeated purchases are common, it would.)

Let me know which option sounds better. The second option can also be shaped (with another workflow and a custom property) to allow for re-enrollment. Happy to elaborate.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @CMathes,

If you want to send an email to specific contacts when a deal hits a certain deal stage, it's easier to create a contact-based workflow instead of a deal-based workflow.

You're right, in a deal-based workflow you can select association labels. Currently, these labels can't be set by workflow and all forms of updating them have a manual component. What you'd be doing here is telling HubSpot to only send an email to contacts associated with the deal matching a certain label. This label describes the relationship between contact and deal.

Alternatively, create a contact-based workflow. In the enrollment criteria, you can also reference deal properties. Select the Deal stage and all other contact criteria you want to use to narrow down who's receiving your email. Using a contact-based workflow has one big downside: It can only be triggered once. It's not possible to re-enroll contacts into a contact-based workflow based on a deal property. In other words, if your contact-based workflow sends the email and then a new deal moves to the same stage again, the workflow wouldn't fire again. (If you're customers usually purchase once, this is not an issue. If repeated purchases are common, it would.)

Let me know which option sounds better. The second option can also be shaped (with another workflow and a custom property) to allow for re-enrollment. Happy to elaborate.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

CMathes
Participant

SOLVE

This was incredibly helpful. Thank you!

The best case for our company would be to use the Contact based workflow - and reference the Deal Stage, as we are trying to send automatic emails when a deal is "won" to the contacts listed, but not all contacts.
If I am understanding correctly, I should be able to label the contacts with one of the fields, and choose who is emailed based off of that. Correct?

karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Happy to help, @CMathes. In the contact-based workflow, you don't need the labels. The labels are only needed in the deal-based workflow.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

Alex_Elborn
Top Contributor | Platinum Partner
Top Contributor | Platinum Partner

SOLVE

Hi @CMathes 

You will be able to create a suppression list to filter some contacts out of the workflow. However, you will need to tell the system how to differentiate between the ones you want to include in the workflow and those you don't.

For example, are you looking to exclude contacts with a certain life cycle stage or lead status? If so, I suggest you create a list of these contacts and add this as a suppression list:

Alex_Elborn_0-1661525173853.png

Hope that helps!

footer
PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hello @CMathes, thank you for posting in our Community! I want to invite our top experts to share their workarounds suggestions @himanshurauthan @louischausse @rikkilear any suggestions to @CMathes matter?

Thank you,

Pam

Você sabia que a Comunidade está disponível em outros idiomas?
Participe de conversas regionais, alterando suas configurações de idioma !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

0 Upvotes