Ensuring Lists and Workflows Remain BFFs

Highlighted
HubSpot Employee

Hi there! My name is Matthew Meylikhov, and I work here in the Support department at HubSpot. I'm a big fan of our Contacts tool, and a while back I wrote this post that I wanted to share for folks crafting their lists and workflows, and how to make sure they always run in parallel:

ALL KILLER, NO FILLER: 5 THINGS TO REMEMBER WHEN MAKING LISTS AND WORKFLOWS

There's lots of bad jokes and references in there to keep you amused, and hopefully you learn something too! And since I wrote it over a year ago, I'd be curious to hear: if anyone has great ideas of making their Lists and Workflows do magic in tandem, please share them in this thread!

giphy.gif

3 Replies 3
Top Contributor

@mmeylikhov thanks, this article mention is quite timely as I am in the process,of standardising my list/workflow/email naming conventions. I have built a plugin for Wordpress that creates a membership site and integrates with HubSpot and there are lots of lists and workflows and subsequent emails that track membership activity. So keeping them all playing nicely together and knowing what is going on is critical. Also being able to search easily for the right list or workflow starts to become painful if you don't get this sorted early on.

I start out by numbering the lists, workflows and associated emails all the same as they relate to each other and the stage of the pipeline or process. So eg. 010, 020, 030, 040 for prospect, lead, customer, Fulfillment etc as process stages.

Then I add a code for where the list is used eg WF:  for workflow, SEG: for segmentation etc. 

I then name the list based on what it does eg. Send Member login credentials.

Workflows follow the same naming conventions but at the end they have a code for where they go to next or other associated workflows.

So the list would be "040 WF: Send Member login credentials", the email used in the workflow would be named exactly the same. The workflow would be "040 WF: Send Member login credentials -> 041" (with workflow 041 being the Member welcome and wow workflow that follows the sending of member credentials).

This helps me keep track of what is going on as the processes flow and helps implement a consistent standard for clients that I install membership sites or customer portals for. It also lets me know at a glance by looking at the contacts lists where they are in my workflows.

i hope someone else finds this helpful. In fact you've inspired me to turn this into a blog post too!

Samantha Alford
Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing @Samantha_Alford - great to see unique perspectives and processes from users, I'm sure many others will find this helpful. 

0 Upvotes
Top Contributor

Thanks for the feedback @roisinkirby, I hope someone finds it useful :-)

Samantha Alford
Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
0 Upvotes