Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

IGeogiadis

Emails from excel importation

SOLVE

Good evening to the community!

We are new HubSpot users.

As far I understand, upon importation, HubSpot cannot import multiple emails from1 excel cell. How should we manage this matter?

In addition, is it possible to store multiple emails for a company record? 

Looking forward to your valuable feedback.

Kind regards,

Ioannis G.

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @IGeogiadis,

That is correct. The email column must include one email only. One row = one email address = one row. One way to update your Excel file accordingly is by using the text to columns feature. You'll have to then copy those new rows in the correct place and clean up your file a bit.

And yes, company records can be associated with multiple contact records ( = emails). However, company records themselves do not have a default field for email address. This would be only via association.

If you want to import a file and create both contacts and companies, you can find instructions here: Import and associate multiple objects

This page also has some sample / example files.

If you're unsure what you're doing, I'd recommend testing the import in a developer account first (choose "An app" on the page). Imports with incorrect associations cannot be reversedf.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @IGeogiadis,

That is correct. The email column must include one email only. One row = one email address = one row. One way to update your Excel file accordingly is by using the text to columns feature. You'll have to then copy those new rows in the correct place and clean up your file a bit.

And yes, company records can be associated with multiple contact records ( = emails). However, company records themselves do not have a default field for email address. This would be only via association.

If you want to import a file and create both contacts and companies, you can find instructions here: Import and associate multiple objects

This page also has some sample / example files.

If you're unsure what you're doing, I'd recommend testing the import in a developer account first (choose "An app" on the page). Imports with incorrect associations cannot be reversedf.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

IGeogiadis

SOLVE
Good evening from Greece,

Many thanks for this kind and prompt correspondence.

Your guidance indeed is a useful solution. Though our problem is a little
bit more complicated or at least we believe so.

So in our excel sheet, the column with emails (especially for company
records) might have multiple emails (1-30 emails, separated with spaces or
commas). Then there are more information columns on the left/right side as
well as above/below.
So how could we use the *Convert Text to Columns Wizard* without overriding
the information around the email column?

Looking forward to your valuable feedback and insights.

Kind regards,
0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @IGeogiadis,

To make sure you're not overwriting information, you would simply add empty columns to the right (as many as needed) before using the text to columns option.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler