Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

ZChurney3
Colaborador

Editing a large list of contacts based on an XLSX file with Account IDs

resolver

Hello everyone! I have a tricky question. We have a list of 800+ contacts listed in an XLSX file but only the Account ID numbers. Every contact on this list has Salutation data missing and we need to update these manually (due to another software integration). First, we need to create an export list of the names from this XLSX file based on their HubSpot Account ID. Then, we need to fill in the missing data on this sheet and add the data to a data import file. What is the best way to do this? Also, when you add an import file, can you update contacts and only one or two data points or will the import override the entire contact record? Any advice is appreciated! Thank you so much!

0 Me gusta
2 Soluciones aceptadas
karstenkoehler
Solución
Miembro del salón de la fama | Partner

resolver

Hi @ZChurney3,

Just to summarize, you have an XLSX file that contains only one column, the Account ID. You also have these exact same (?) contacts in HubSpot, also with the Account ID.

It sounds like you have the data you would like to have in the XLSX file in HubSpot – and now you would like to have an XLSX file for the contacts with those exact Account IDs, enriched with the information from HubSpot, is that correct?

If that's the case, it would be easiest to create a contact list in HubSpot, set a filter in this list for Account ID and paste all IDs from your XLSX file with semicolons, as explained here: https://community.hubspot.com/t5/CRM/Filtering-a-view-with-a-comma-separated-list-of-company-IDs/m-p...

You would then have a list that filters all contacts in HubSpot for the Account IDs from your XLSX file. You can then easily export this list from HubSpot, including all columns that you'd like.

If that's not what you were referring to, could you please specify what you would like to achieve (as simply as possible), what properties exactly data are you referring to?

Best regards

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

Ver la solución en mensaje original publicado

karstenkoehler
Solución

resolver

Hi @ZChurney3,

It sounds like you would like to update the the Salutation outside of HubSpot as it's faster, correct?

If so, it would be easiest to simply export the contacts from HubSpot, remove all columns but the Email and Salutation column from the export file. (Add the Salutation column if it's not in there yet.) Update the Salutation for all contacts in the XLSX file, then re-import the list. HubSpot will update all contacts in their place based on the Email as identifier.

Is that what you're referring to?

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

Ver la solución en mensaje original publicado

5 Respuestas 5
ZChurney3
Colaborador

resolver

@karstenkoehler - this is precisely the information I needed and I cannot thank you enough!!

PS - I do not know if you are located in Germany, but if you are and ever host a HubSpot Datamanagement or Automation training event, let me know. Your information has been very helpful and there is definitely a need for more in-person or video conference trainings in Germany / Europe for HubSpot. Many thanks!!

0 Me gusta
karstenkoehler

resolver

Hi @ZChurney3,

Glad I can help! And yes, I am based in Berlin 🙂

I am a freelance HubSpot consultant. At the moment, I don't have any larger events planned – feel free however to connect with me on LinkedIn (by clicking on my profile image in my signature).

I also consult companies directly on an hourly rate. If that sounds interesting to you, feel free to connect on LinkedIn or book a meeting using the button in my signature.

Have a great day!

Karsten Köhler

karstenkoehler
Solución

resolver

Hi @ZChurney3,

Just to summarize, you have an XLSX file that contains only one column, the Account ID. You also have these exact same (?) contacts in HubSpot, also with the Account ID.

It sounds like you have the data you would like to have in the XLSX file in HubSpot – and now you would like to have an XLSX file for the contacts with those exact Account IDs, enriched with the information from HubSpot, is that correct?

If that's the case, it would be easiest to create a contact list in HubSpot, set a filter in this list for Account ID and paste all IDs from your XLSX file with semicolons, as explained here: https://community.hubspot.com/t5/CRM/Filtering-a-view-with-a-comma-separated-list-of-company-IDs/m-p...

You would then have a list that filters all contacts in HubSpot for the Account IDs from your XLSX file. You can then easily export this list from HubSpot, including all columns that you'd like.

If that's not what you were referring to, could you please specify what you would like to achieve (as simply as possible), what properties exactly data are you referring to?

Best regards

Karsten Köhler

ZChurney3
Colaborador

resolver

@karstenkoehler this is exactly what I needed regarding adding names to the list of Account IDs (received from a third party). Thank you so much for clarifying! I figured I would need a list but wasn't sure the best way to do that with an Excel sheet list of 800+ people. 

A secondary question to this is if I can add a header for the [Salutation] / [Anrede] data column and have someone on our team do their best to manually update this data before we import it back into HubSpot. This would be, in priniciple, a mass data update but for only one data point, being the [Salutation] or [Anrede]. If you have thoughts about this let me know and, again, thank you for your help! You are wonderful and I appreciate it.

0 Me gusta
karstenkoehler
Solución

resolver

Hi @ZChurney3,

It sounds like you would like to update the the Salutation outside of HubSpot as it's faster, correct?

If so, it would be easiest to simply export the contacts from HubSpot, remove all columns but the Email and Salutation column from the export file. (Add the Salutation column if it's not in there yet.) Update the Salutation for all contacts in the XLSX file, then re-import the list. HubSpot will update all contacts in their place based on the Email as identifier.

Is that what you're referring to?

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler