Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

SBGNZ
Participant

Duplicate contact email address's - required.

Hi Community,
We are wondering how other companies get around hubspots duplicate email rule. We are having a serious impact as we have customers who use the same email address for multiple companies as well as share the same email address in the same company.
I know Salesforce can handle this as it creates a separate Company and Contact ID and allows for duplicates - however I cannot find a way to do this in Hubspot.
There must be other companies having the same issue as this is a common issue when dealing with b2b companies.
Would like to hear your take?

4 Replies 4
Mike_Eastwood
Key Advisor | Gold Partner
Key Advisor | Gold Partner

Kia ora @SBGNZ 

You can now "associate" a Contact with more than one Company using Association Labels

Using Association Labels means you can also label the association e.g. Contact A is an "accountant" for Company A and a "director" for Company B.

There's a few more clicks involved but it's worth the effort.

Cheers

Mike

p.s. hope you're on dry land!

SBGNZ
Participant

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the suggestion- this would work if we where not intergrating into a external platform that requires us to store company specific information at the contact level.
This is why we need to have duplicate contacts for the same email address.
Any other idea- I know you support duplicate records when you intergrate with Salesforce is there another work around.

kvlschaefer
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @SBGNZ,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community!

I wanted to refer you to this related thread where @karstenkoehler and @LaurenRyan recommend third-party deduplication tools, in addition to this related thread where @jolle offers insight into managing duplicate contacts.  

I also wanted to tag in our subject matter experts to see if they have any tips.

Hi @danmoyle@Mike_Eastwood@Jnix284 - Do you have any recommendations for managing duplicate contacts?

Thank you! 

Best,
Kristen

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !
danmoyle
Most Valuable Member | Elite Partner
Most Valuable Member | Elite Partner

+1 on @kvlschaefer's links. And @Mike_Eastwood's association advice. I'd associate the contact to the companies so the information lives across multiple objects (relationships), but think of the contact as 1 human. 

Did my answer help? Please "mark as a solution" to help others find answers. Plus I really appreciate it!

Dan Moyle

HubSpot Advisor

LearningOps | Impulse Creative

emailAddress
dan@impulsecreative.com
website
https://impulsecreative.com/