Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

majohnboy
Participant

Do reps work from lists, tasks, contacts or companies? Or something else?

SOLVE

This may seem like a silly question, but I will ask anyway.  What screen do most outbound sales reps work from?  I don't think the tasks screen is very useful because there is no way of prioritising tasks.

I think working from a filtered view of contacts or companies would be best, or else creating a list. 

But then, I need to organise follow up call lists (because I don't want to use tasks because unimportant tasks could drown out very important tasks).

I considered queues, but putting tasks into queues is a clunky process that cannot be done from all areas.  

I don't know the best way to prioritise my calls after I have contacted them.  Could anyone offer advice please?

Thanks

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
matthodkinson
Solution
Contributor | Platinum Partner

SOLVE

Hi @majohnboy 

Great question, and there's no hard and fast rule on this, but I can give you the benefit of our experience.

I agree that Tasks can get onerous and overwhelming, especially if notifications are switched on - even a low-volume, high-value business can see a seemingly-unmanageable number of tasks piling up in a very short space of time.

I've found that, in most cases, a combination of Deal Board and Lists works best. Assuming that all notes and interactions are logged, this provides flexibility to the rep, in terms of how they prioritise and work the contact - be it by heat (lead score), working backwards from latter deal stages, or time since last interaction. The latter could be achieved using an Active List, that shows owned contacts within certain deal stages that haven't been contacted for X days, for example.

We've never had any problems with contacts slipping the net, using this approach. Hope it helps provide an option, at least.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
matthodkinson
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @majohnboy 

Great question, and there's no hard and fast rule on this, but I can give you the benefit of our experience.

I agree that Tasks can get onerous and overwhelming, especially if notifications are switched on - even a low-volume, high-value business can see a seemingly-unmanageable number of tasks piling up in a very short space of time.

I've found that, in most cases, a combination of Deal Board and Lists works best. Assuming that all notes and interactions are logged, this provides flexibility to the rep, in terms of how they prioritise and work the contact - be it by heat (lead score), working backwards from latter deal stages, or time since last interaction. The latter could be achieved using an Active List, that shows owned contacts within certain deal stages that haven't been contacted for X days, for example.

We've never had any problems with contacts slipping the net, using this approach. Hope it helps provide an option, at least.

majohnboy
Participant

SOLVE

Hi @matthodkinson 

Really appreciate your quick response.  Yes, working from active lists seems like a real winner.  Interested if this is the primary approach for most companies, just in case another nugget of useful information comes in.

I'm thinking that working from the lists is the primary way forward, and only put in tasks for specific tasks that go outside our calling/email sequence.  Seem like a good way forward? 

matthodkinson

SOLVE

@majohnboy  From what you've told me, that would be a great solution. Best of luck with it!

0 Upvotes