Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

Jonnydk
Top Contributor

Different contact types and salesforce sync

Hi, we are marketing to different audiences and are classifying form submissions based on a contact type which is based on the product/service. e.g.

Product 1 will have a hidden field in the form for contact type = product 1

Product 2 will have a hidden field in the form for contact type = product 2

My question is around the HubSpot - Salesforce sync. Since leads and contacts are not separate objects how do I ensure that the fields are synced correctly to Salesforce? Should I create the same fields on the SF lead and contact object and then map them? What happens if I am updating those fields from an external system on the contact object in Salesforce. What I am trying to explain is that sometimes that value will be populated in HubSpot (form submission --> HubSpot --> SF) and sometimes they will be populated from an external system ( External system --> SF --> HubSpot). Any ideas on how to best handle this?

0 Upvotes
6 Replies 6
Growth_Natives
Member | Platinum Partner
Member | Platinum Partner

Hi @Jonnydk,

Great Question!

In this, you have to create a field with the same API name at contact and lead level then map those fields in salesforce. After that, map the HubSpot field with the Salesforce field. Then the value will flow seamlessly from HubSpot to Salesforce.

Answer to your other question:

Since leads and contacts are not separate objects how do I ensure that the fields are synced correctly to Salesforce?
For this there is a way to ensure data synched correctly:
You can have the same API name at the lead and contact level in Salesforce then map it with the HubSpot field with the lead level field of Salesforce (Two-way sync) and data will automatically get added at the contact level field in Salesforce.

By this, the flow will be
Lead (Salesforce) > Mapping > Contact (Salesforce)
HubSpot > Mapping > Lead (Salesforce) >>(automatically synched due to mapping between both objects)>> Contact (Salesforce)

Cheers!

Taran

ELanyon0

Hello, 
I tried to create fields in Leads and in Contacts with the same API name and Salesforce woudn't let me. Am I missing something?

0 Upvotes
webdew
Guide | Diamond Partner
Guide | Diamond Partner

Hi @Jonnydk ,

Hi @Jonnydk

So in Salesforce "contacts" are called Leads. IN HubSpot, contacts are called contacts/ 

So naturally, the sync recognises this and will sync property fields on HubSpot contacts to salesforce leads (assuming you have mapped the properties).

One best possible solution is creating a property in Salesforce that is mappable to this property in HubSpot! I.e. if your "product 1" is a single line text field type of property in HubSpot, you will have to create this similar product 1 property in Salesforce and make sure it's set up according to our mapping field types here

So this will ensure that the property that gets updated in HubSpot, maps across to salesforce

my suggestion when setting up the mapping rules is to set it up as "two way" since you mentioned that that product 1 property might also be updated like this: ( External system --> SF --> HubSpot). This is the two way mapping rule.

Hope this helps!

If we were able to answer your query, kindly help the community by marking it as a solution.

Thanks and Regards.

0 Upvotes
Jonnydk
Top Contributor

@Phil_Vallender thanks, let me know if you managed to confirm this. I am scared to use two-way sync because I don't want to overwrite what I have on the contact field in SF since that is our record of truth. My goal is to label the contacts coming into HubSpot as the correct contact type and have that flow into SF. If SF has a value then don't update and vice versa, I don't know if I am explaining myself correctly.  I want to make sure that I am taking the SF lead and contacts into consideration. In SF I can map the lead fields to contact fields. 

0 Upvotes
Phil_Vallender
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

Hi @Jonnydk 

It sounds like you want to use 'prefer salesforce' mapping then, which really means 'prefer salesforce unless salesfroce is blank in which case allow HubSpot to update'.

Does that sound right?

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency
Phil_Vallender

Hi @Jonnydk 

My understanding is that if the lead and contact properties have the same internal name on Salesforce, then the HubSpot integration maps to them both with one rule. I hope to be able to confirm that soon.

I this case, you probably want to allow two-way sync, so that either system can update the value. 

Does this help?

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency